OT-ish USPS Tracking Issues

ChazzC

Please note, while this is a Mini-Rant, is only intended to provide some behind-the-scenes information, not to instigate a slew of comments.

After several packages were sent on tours of Central Pennsylvania by the US Postal Service (USPS), I considered contacting my Congressman, but realized this would have been useless.

Then today I figured I could reach out to my local Post Office for an answer to the latest SNAFU; here's the tracking for a recent eBay purchase (so I knew the address was correct); my comments are in Bold:

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item eBay Seller got things rolling
ROCHESTER, NY 14624
April 24, 2024, 10:07 am

Accepted at USPS Origin Facility Seller has dropped off the package and it's in the system
ROCHESTER, NY 14624
April 24, 2024, 8:21 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility It's moving along
NORTHWEST ROCHESTER NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
April 24, 2024, 9:36 pm

Departed USPS Regional Facility Leaving NYS
NORTHWEST ROCHESTER NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
April 25, 2024, 5:55 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility Harrisburg serves my local Post Office so I should have it the 26th
HARRISBURG PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
April 25, 2024, 11:09 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility Yea! It will be at my Post Office the 25th and Delivered the 26th
April 25, 2024, 3:25 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility Wait, what? Why is it in Lancaster?? (Lancaster is 30 miles SE of me, and you have to drive past my location to get there from Harrisburg)
LANCASTER PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
April 25, 2024, 4:21 pm

Departed USPS Regional Facility OK, Lancaster figured it out
LANCASTER PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
April 25, 2024, 9:56 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility It's early enough so that I should still get it the 26th
April 26, 2024, 12:14 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility Looking good
April 26, 2024, 12:45 am

Arrived at USPS Facility Alright - it will be out for delivery today!
HUMMELSTOWN, PA 17036
April 26, 2024, 5:05 am

Arrived at Post Office What? How did it get here?
GRANTVILLE, PA 17028
April 26, 2024, 7:03 am

Processing at USPS Facility What do you mean "Processing?"
GRANTVILLE, PA 17028
April 26, 2024, 7:38 am

This is when I called the local Post Office. While they couldn't explain why this package (and two others this week) got a free ride to Lancaster, they could explain what happened once it got to them at 5:05 this morning – it turns out that there are multiple scans at destination: the Arrival Scan is the label on the Gaylord Box that per the system is where my package is; then there is an Accepted Scan, which is the actual scan of the package. If I could see behind the curtain (like the Hummesltown Post Master could), it would tell me that Grantville reported a mis-directed package and I "should" receive the package tomorrow (like the airlines back in the 90's: they would cancel a flight rather than have a late departure – late departures counted against them, cancellations didn't; I'm guessing that USPS doesn't want the General Public to know how bad things really are and how lucky we should be that we get most of our deliveries).

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Back to our off-topic thread on stuff we used to have, and how the internet has changed our lives. Not always for the better. Twenty years ago we’d ask for something to be sent, we’d be told three to five days shipping time, and we’d be happy with that and expect it to arrive in a week. When it showed up one day early we’d be even happier. Now, we track in real time and get concerned when the package has had a better vacation this year than we had. $10 bet that USPS was doing the same stuff pre-web, we just didn’t know it!