• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Oregon Auction

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
This a foundry/blacksmith shop auction that has some interesting stuff. There is a BP and a Jet lathe and all kinds of neat stuff. One thing I found strange was that a blacksmith shop would have no anvils for sale. In normal times with a decent dollar it would be worth going to have a look.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Interesting, lot 138 is Powermatic saw - which I will soon have for sale (after pandemic) and it is already 625 USD. I have same model 20". I am replacing it with a 15" that is a steel - alu - wood saw vs. just wood (and thin alu) for Powermatic.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm always sad to see these types of auctions because in my mind it always means something has happened; either business dried up, someone passed away, something has gone sideways resulting in someone's life's work is being sold off.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
YYC - I don't know what the BP is worth, it looks well used but being a BP it will probably go for more than it's worth.
David - Hopefully it is someone retiring. I also think about the knowledge and experience that is being lost, it's not like there is a line up of people waiting to learn the art. With modern technology the requirement for a blacksmith must also be declining in necessity, maybe business has just dried up.
I don't see the lathe this morning,,,, I wonder why it's been pulled.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
the BP is a much older model series 1 VS. been used hard. At US market prices less than 1000$.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, it is certainly older model but at least it does not seem to have been abused.
A much newer same size model but heavily abused with gutted electrical with 40 tpr and 3hp motor but no dro of any type sold in Canada for 1600 CAD plus fees on auction (few weeks ago).

With CAD dropping like a rock down the price now is 1750 CAD (from 1250 USD). It is the same as auction here in Canada for newer beaten down mill.

It is hard to price it more precisely without inspecting it.

I think the price is about right. I also watched the guy price things such as beater mill at under "1000 USD" but I think he is talking about smoking deals - like people getting it for free etc.

Note that even a beater BP will be for most people that can fit it a far better deal then a brand new mini mill or similar mill like RF-30. Most work does not need huge precision and when needed you can fix some aspects of the mill. A lot of luck of precision only comes to play when doing large parts bolted to the table.

Brent H

Ultra Member
That is nuts! From looking at the pictures it is - “not a Bridgeport”. It had a Bridgeport head (or just the head cover) but the rest of it is nothing that would suggest other than a hack together.

the base says “Kondia” ???

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Maybe it was in better condition then the pictures show - but still a bit high - remember there are fees on top of that.

Another example that a sub 1000 USD mill is very hard to find even one that has been severely abused.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I actually think that the pandemic induced stuff will have quite negative impact on prices - BP class machines and CNC are used by a lot of small manufacturers / workshops that COVID-19 is going to wipe out. I don't think hobbyist market is going to easily absorb it all given that a lot of hobbyists that are not retired may also have unstable / no income.

Maybe that calculation will take time to propagate - or maybe I am wrong.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
On hobbymachinist.com, people point out at least 1 or 2 super deals every month. The mill looked used up. perhaps auction-effect, where an item looks desirable because people are bidding on it...

I saw a clap-trap chinese mill that was basically scrap go for 5400$ in calgary a couple of years ago. I stopped bidding at 600$. I wanted it for parts: motor, and a few other things. The guy who bought it paid another grand to move it. sheesh.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Auctions are a lottery - you don't have a bidder to oppose you and you get the stuff for next to nothing - others simply will milk you a bit due to "its 10x cheaper then it looks". Then there are some pp that oppose you....

Finally, there is the game of "biggest looser". Two pp that hate each other bid on an item. They bid 2x what it is worth and... keep going. The one that stops leaves the other with rotten egg.

This is how you get $5400 clapped out mill.

I found it that there is usually ONE anti-Tom that will fight with me and frequently few bids up its just me ... and him.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
ahh, auctions. I stopped going a long time ago. If I can't deal with the seller directly, and look him in the eye to negotiate, then I don't want whatever is being sold.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am 180 degree opposite - almost all of my buying is at auctions. There are very few good deals on sites like Kijiji or Facebook marketplace - especially in AB people overprice a lot. I use these sites mostly to sell stuff. You can get some interesting equipment at auctions that would be hard to find otherwise. It is also of note that I am mostly interested in larger machines that are 3ph.

Then again, bearing some cool machine that is super rare I have all stuff that I would ever want in manual world - maybe more tooling but also of limited quantity.