Ontario Tools of the trade show

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I prefer Breakfree CLP or if a real soak is required kerosene with a shot of Hobbs #9. Once loose Breakfree to lube.

I assume you mean Hopps not Hobbs. If so, I've never heard of using it that way. I have LOTS of it that I don't use anymore. I use bore tech instead. I like it much better.

I'll have to try both as a penetrating oil.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I think I have posted tis before on the forum...the best "loosener we have ever used on the farm is just common drugstore Iodine. We have used it to free up bearings that have been rusting on shaft's for 20 years. We had a small jar of the stuff in every toolbox on the farm.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think I have posted tis before on the forum...the best "loosener we have ever used on the farm is just common drugstore Iodine. We have used it to free up bearings that have been rusting on shaft's for 20 years. We had a small jar of the stuff in every toolbox on the farm.

I'm allergic to iodine. My mother used it on every cut I ever got. Stuff hurts like hell on an open cut. As time passed, my allergy (hatred) grew to the point that I don't want it near me anymore.

I still have nightmare memories of stitching the web of my thumb and hand up myself during an extended hunting trip. Iodine plus a sewing needle and fishing line worked but not something I ever want to do again. Scars are still there to remind me.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Now that's funny @YYCHM !

My wife used to say that using Hoppes made me smell sexy. But I never thought of it as a room freshener!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Dan Dubeau said
“Yes, the acetone evaporates. After 2 or 3 times of mixing up a squirt bottle full, I've learned now to just mix as I need it.”

I have my solvents, clearers, etc in these small (250ml) plastic spray bottles (from Amazon, only couple bucks each). I have been doing this for 6 or 8 months and no issues. Both acetone and isopropyl don’t escape (evaporate noticeably) from these bottles.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
One of the many things that exist as a bee in my bonnet is my dislike of plastic bottles. Luckily enough, most of the pump sprayers from dollar store plastic bottles will fit glass bottles. A nice glass & brass plant mister sits next to my lathe, filled with Lenox Band-Ade. And you can get lids for mason jars that have pump dispensers.

Places like Lush and Sephora sell aluminum pump bottles.

I’m Canadian, so the milling machine has a maple syrup bottle of Band-Ade.

The triangular glass bottles are $4 at my local dollar store.

Attachments

• IMG_6600.jpeg
    IMG_6600.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6601.jpeg
    IMG_6601.jpeg
    514.6 KB · Views: 16

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Well, I abandoned the idea of repairing the micrometer . . . for now.

I did purchase an ACCUSIZE 0-1” mic for $40.
It is almost exactly the same as the ‘seized’ FOWLER that I bought in 1982.
If I remember, the micrometer cost me $150

150, wow. Fowler doesn't make a thing, its is just re branded Chinese stuff (except for the B&S made swiss indicators) with a big price tag .....no wonder it looks the same!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Fowler doesn't make a thing, its is just re branded Chinese stuff

I didn't know that. I have a few Fowler tools I prolly paid too much for thinking they were a lower cost brand name than Starrett but still better than Ali. It explains why my guarded plunge indicator sticks.

Won't be buying Fowler again.

Thanks Mcgyver.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Well? Anybody come away with some good deals today?

I didn't get much. Couple vee blocks for the home shop, some cheap angle clamps and a few other little things. No hammers, tongs, or other blacksmithing stuff I had my eye out for. I had a hard time walking away from those granite parallels for $80 though. One of those things you don't see very often, and a nice to have surface plate accessory, but I just didn't foresee a use other than I wanted them. I walked by them 4 times hoping somebody else would have grabbed them and made me feel better, but they were still there when I left lol.

That was I think the least I've ever spent at one of these shows. Just didn't see much that grabbed my attention, and I tried. Highlight of the day was stopping and squeezing in a round of golf on the simulator on the way home because I still had money left :D.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Man, $80 for granite parallels? And you walked by them? Dude, better check the prescription! :)

I have a pair of B&S, use them a fair bit. I think they are a foot long, going from memory. From lathe levelling to use on the surface plate they get pulled out several times a year. It such a rare thing to see a good deal on, I couldn't have walked by....would have bought them for back up lol. Good knows what they are/were new, certainly not something I buy for big dollars, but when you trip over a pair......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Man, $80 for granite parallels? And you walked by them? Dude, better check the prescription! :)

I was gunna send him on a guilt trip for not buying them to resell to one of us...... But I like your bad drugs version better...

Engmaxx

(Michael)
Ya, I think so. Three new >1/2" drills, a new 3/4" 4F end mill, 2" opening adj. wrench and a used Starrett pin punch set ($20). Came out $80 lighter, including admission and less than an hour there. I went through things as quick as I could as IMHO most of the good stuff is gone in the first half hour see people in that time with bags in their hands. $80 granite parallels I did not see but maybe I would have grabbed them, hard to say. Asked about a used parallel pliers but at a $35 price point I had no interest. This is the most I have spent at the show but this is my second time attending. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_4437.jpg
    IMG_4437.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 4

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member

I have a pair of B&S, use them a fair bit. I think they are a foot long, going from memory. From lathe levelling to use on the surface plate they get pulled out several times a year. It such a rare thing to see a good deal on, I couldn't have walked by....would have bought them for back up lol. Good knows what they are/were new, certainly not something I buy for big dollars, but when you trip over a pair......

Thanks for making me feel better.......:D

These were 10" I think.

I have too many projects in the "need funding to move forward" stage right now so I'm trying to reign in the buying of cool stuff just because it's there. The $80 will be better spent on boards for my CNC lathe conversion which will get more use than parallels. If I did machine reconditioning like you, then yeah, I would have grabbed them, but as of now I still have not been drawn in by that facet of the trade. Yet. Maybe some day I'll look back and kick myself for not buying them......

kstrauss

I too went to the Tools of the Trades show on Sunday. Got a few goodies including: Interapid DTI in good order for $30, Kant-twist clamp for $5, handful of new Butterfield 2-56 to 6-32 taps for $1 each + go-nogo gauges for 2-56 to 1/4-28 threads and a durometer that I certainly don't need but not everyone has such!