• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Ontario startup company- benchtop CNC machines

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, I decided to make my own. Just got on auction an old RF-30 and will convert it to CNC. There are plenty of people that did such conversion online.

My other choice was a small BP conversion, BUT conversion for these is expensive, kits start at over 5000 USD and doing it by yourself can be also like 5000 CAD. For RF-30 a cheap conversion would be just 1000 CAD and more realistic one 1500 CAD.

If I outgrow it I can always sell it and go for bigger machine.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If I recall correctly there’s a fellow, I want to say his name is Bob… that makes a CNC conversion kit for RF30 mills.
Let me do some research.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
David,

New and just browsing the forums. Nice to see another hobbyist on the Island! I'm up in Campbell River. Had a Craftsman 109, just upgraded to a Chinese 9X18, and looking at a King RF-30. I covert you 10K. Looked for a lathe for quite a while, and finally found the one that was right here in town.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
10K as in 10,000 CAD? I am doing a deluxe conversion for like $2000 including the machine ;) And by Deluxe I am looking at the best components I can get. Including motion control board (but probably later on). All precision ground screws. Over sized motors - like 60% more power then online conversions.

Granted some work will be involved - we soo how much. I am thinking that once you have all the parts that are extra nicely setup you can convert RF-30s as a business - or similar machines. Would anyone be interested in RF-30 CNC for say 6000 CAD, brand new, converted?

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry, I noticed in David's profile information that he has a lathe build by Southbend. Great lathe, model 10K.