• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

On Sale? OK I'll take two!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How can an 8" bench vise cost more than a decent metal lathe? Retail $6561, on sale for $1995?
This doesn't look to be a KBC issue or mis-print either, MSC lists similar.... in USD!
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09207085

Maybe they will become extinct collectors item and I SHOULD buy 2 for Ebay flipping.
Sounds like some of my awesome stock market ideas... that eventually provide future loss pools to offset any lucky capital gains :/

Attachments

• SNAG-5-13-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-5-13-2020 0000.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0

Crankit

haha....wow!

That's a good price....Fastool is $3700USD for the Wilton 8" Machinist vise

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah there is a reason they don't sell too many of these - they are way, way, way, way over priced for what you get. I have Italian made Wilton. Its nice 6" but nothing special - bullet vise. They are not uber strong or anything like that. It probably costs them less then 100 to make one in USA.
I bought mine as part of an auction lot from which I sold some staff and vice ended up like $30.

I would flip my Record from one of these super strong and uber bulky US made old school vices. The super heavy ones like 200 lbs class - just for fun.

Wilton is getting a set of soft jaws.

I think owning one is mostly for "I have one" purposes - nice vice but nothing special. I doubt 8" is a lot better then my 6" other then better capacity.

Crankit

I saw a Starrett 6" on ebay last month that had a asking price of approx $500 and a lot better built than the Wilton

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How can an 8" bench vise cost more than a decent metal lathe? Retail $6561, on sale for $1995?
This doesn't look to be a KBC issue or mis-print either, MSC lists similar.... in USD!
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09207085

Maybe they will become extinct collectors item and I SHOULD buy 2 for Ebay flipping.
Sounds like some of my awesome stock market ideas... that eventually provide future loss pools to offset any lucky capital gains :/
Goes to show you just how overpriced they are. I do think that an item that is marginally better will be believed by some people to be WAY better if it is WAY overpriced.

TMac48

Brand New Member
I'm looking at an old, almost new condition, Record 112 6" quick release vise. It looks like a high quality vise to me. It was made in England and I don't believe they are made anymore. What is a comparable vise? I'm wondering what I should be willing to pay for this vise?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think I sold an almost new condition Record 112 (or 110) or something like that engineers vise for like $35 or $40 - it was a small 4" light build.

6" Record in mint condition no. 6, mechanics, should fetch around $100 or even more - that is in excellent condition - like new. Made in UK. Records are OK vise, they are not "great" but they are your average workhorse in your average workshop / factory. They have good price to what you get ratio. I also have a Wilton and through it is roughly similar weight class it is far smoother vise.

Crankit

I picked up a older Record #6 in fantastic shape a couple of months ago and I must say it is easily double the weight of my new 6" Wilton vise.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Wilton vises come in many grades - you have ultra cheap non bullets vises, moderately priced bullets and expensive bullets. The cheap non bullet Wilton is definitely inferior to Record #6 & I think is made in China with low quality materials. The moderate bullet >> Record. Moderate bullet weight is around that of a Record #6. I think they now even have Chinese made ultra cheap (for Wilton) bullets vises - not sure of quality but would not be shocked if it was less then regular Wilton.