• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Old, tired dial graduation refresh

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm interested in this question too. Some of mine are so shallow I'm not sure anything would work except maybe rescratching the original graduation lines.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Here is a couple I did. As best I could tell the furniture repair wax stuff is about the same stuff as engravers black (which is often suggested). Lots of details here: https://www.metallum.shop/2022/02/23/blackening-graduated-dials/.

This was is well suited to plated dials, like the ones shown (i.e. the satin finish) or otherwise finish you don't want to wreck as no abrasives are used to clean off the excess

1715516127943.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As best I could tell the furniture repair wax stuff is about the same stuff as engravers black (which is often suggested).
I've often wondered about this. Why not the most tenacious, toughest (maybe even catalyzed) paint you can lay your hands on? Its basically filling a thin scribe line groove, curing & revealed when the dial surface is re-finished anyways?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
@Mcgyver I'm going to call you out here. How can one man accumulate, repair and restore all those beautiful machines in only 35 years! Either you've found the Fountain of Youth, you're an immortal, or maybe a vampire! Which is it?:D

Mike is not in. Please leave a message at the tone and he will return your call when the sun goes down.

I'm still at it...... on the weekend just tore apart a spindle for uber expensive SKF Super-precision double row cylindrical roller bearing replacement (that's a process, fit is governed by how far up a taper on the spindle you drive the bearing), have my jointer/planer in pieces replacing bearings and converting to a helical cutter, have a new spindle I made for the BCA done, just need to pull out my DIY dynamic balancer and get it balanced, two lathes need to finished (scraping, 75% done) ..... seemingly never ends. I'm trying to get everything working so I can just make stuff like model engines instead of being a millwright/machine tool reconditioner (almost got the Stuart triple done, but resist the urge to start another until more things get shifted into the done column)

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Thanks, not that I know of. I believe it is some sort of plating (nickel?), that's about the extent of my knowledge on it :)

Last edited: