• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Old South bend

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I did a thing, 1941ish southbend 9a (I believe), with a whold box of tooling, 4jaw, faceplate etc. Hopefully over this evening and tomorrow I will get to clean it up and give it a go IMG_20210419_154645602.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Where did you find that and how much?

bragg creek area, 500$

i have to braze up a that little bracket for the back gear, and maybe take the spindle apart, it seems to lock up the whole thing when i engage the back gear

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Don't forget about the pin on the bull gear :)

haha yea i just found that.....works fine now! lol

i was running it by hand anyhow, its still sitting on the trailer out on the front street while i do other less enjoyable things

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Well after 4 hours of scrubbing with degreaser,soap/water, taking things apart (carriage was full of grease soaked wood shavings) it looks much less gross, and runs a bit smoother, thinking I might need to upgrade that lantern style tool post IMG_20210420_154118759.jpg

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Looks good, AXA tool post will work well for your machine.That's an interesting pulley setup.;)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Looks good, AXA tool post will work well for your machine.That's an interesting pulley setup.;)

Yea I've gotta sort that pulley mess out at some time, I haven't quite decided what the solution is going to be there

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If you can't find a motor pulley to buy, there must be a member close by with the same machine that could give you the measurements to turn one, or maybe offer to turn it for you.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If you can't find a motor pulley to buy, there must be a member close by with the same machine that could give you the measurements to turn one, or maybe offer to turn it for you.

? I see a motor with pulley in his first image?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The countershaft and motor pulleys are sized so that when you change from one set of pulleys to the other set the belt tension stays the same. If the pulleys aren't matched you would need a different size belt, or re-tension the belt, every time you changed pulleys. So a two step pulley on the countershaft and a four step pulley on the motor will probably need to have the belt changed or re-tensioned every time you do a pulley change.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It looks like the motor is on a piano hinge. If there is enough weight/travel, the tension may be constant, just the motor position will be different. Maybe there is a spring to assist with the tension? - can’t tell from the picture. It does look like the belt runs at an angle, depending what pulley position it is in. Could cause excessive belt wear or the belt to jump out of the pulley. But may all be OK for this low power application.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
There is more to it than just the motor pulleys being wrong, unfortunately the driven pulleys on the countershaft have been changed to standard v belt pulleys for some unknown reason

my options are to make or have made the proper drive and driven pulleys, find some on ebay, or make a simple/quick belt tension system so that i can change from the large to the small driven pulleys, as with it on the same drive pulley changing between the two driven pulleys yeilds close to the proper rpm on the counter shaft (300/600, it gives me 342/600)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
It looks like the motor is on a piano hinge. If there is enough weight/travel, the tension may be constant, just the motor position will be different. Maybe there is a spring to assist with the tension? - can’t tell from the picture. It does look like the belt runs at an angle, depending what pulley position it is in. Could cause excessive belt wear or the belt to jump out of the pulley. But may all be OK for this low power application.

correct, it is on a piano hinge....its been bodged pretty good, but what can a guy expect for something that has been used for 80 years, someone with less than stellar skills was bound to get on a repair at some point