• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Old Lathe Project

L

Louis Dusablon

Convert 220 3 ph. to 220 1 ph. wasn't 100 % sure if I could do it, (5 HP)
It needed a bit of TLC, getting the old oil off, what a chore that was, fixing oil leaks, dismantling the carriage for inspection, tailstock needed some repair, oil pump wasn't working at full capacity, I by-passed it using old hydraulic pump I had, hoping to get all the function with the VFD.
IMG_0956.JPG IMG_0962.JPG IMG_1084.JPG IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1277.JPG IMG_0966.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 39

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow. I have a lot of respect for you guys that rebuild (& usually enhance) machines like this. I would not know where to begin, especially on the electrics. When you VFD a gearbox lathe, do you typically choose a middle gear & control rpm with the controller box, or are you free to pick any gear like normal & VFD gives you even more rpm range flexibility? Dumb question, but what does the hydraulic pump go to? (like oil lubrication or some sort of movement function?)

L

Louis Dusablon

Free to pick any gear with variable speed or any gear to its maximum RPM
The hydraulic pump replace to headstock pump for gear and bearing lubrication.

John Conroy

Premium Member
That's a beefy looking lathe Louis. I like the machine skates. Can you provide details of the wheels you used for them?

L

Louis Dusablon

Hi John
the back wheels are rated for 800 lbs. ea they are made of urethane. the front wheels do swivel and capable of 400 lbs. ea
made in Germany. available at Castertown. I will post some Pics so you can how I made them.

EricB

Looking great, Louis! I was thinking of making some similar machine skates. How do you like them?

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

L

Louis Dusablon

it made the job so much easier, this lathe weighs between 3700 to 4000 lbs

L

Louis Dusablon

its been a while since I posted anything on my lathe project, time seems to get in the way, I have 1 upgrade a steady rest needs some tig welding before its complete
all materials from scrap yard scavenging
IMG_1532.JPG IMG_1534.JPG
also made a rear spider for the lathe, made a threaded sleeve and used locktite to glue it to the spindle
IMG_1535.JPG IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1537.JPG
made a tramming gauge for the mill works really good and fast to set up used cheap indicators from busy bee (good enough)
copied from youtube

IMG_0840.JPG

one more item, this is my take on a centre height gauge for setting tool height, simply a piece of stainless I had drilled and tap a 1/4x20 hole , used a cap screw made a reference mark . done
IMG_1541.JPG

EricB

That steady is looking great! Are you going to split it?

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

L

Louis Dusablon

yes I will split later on as I don't have the time right now , save that for the winter

L

Louis Dusablon

another mod for the mill, cause I just can hardly reach the top
IMG_1556.JPG

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I like your accessories Louis.
Dumb question, but what is a spider's function? Am I seeing it mounted to the outside of the headstock there?

L

Louis Dusablon

the function of the rear spider is to prevent a long piece of shaft that is longer than the headstock, or if you have a long overhang you can reduce the amount of wobble 3-rear-spider[1].jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, identical VFD to mine - through mine is just connected to power so far and attached with duct tape while the other is still in the box - need to figure out a way to sleep less and work more.

L

Louis Dusablon

My lathe had an auto stop at one time,
Presently working on fabricating some part will post pic later