• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Old Age Sucks!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
My cost is $4.30 for a bag of 2 - that’s at Richelieu- see if you can get them even cheaper. Price drops if you order 100 bags of 2 - LOL
My experience with Richelieu has been probably the worst of any hardware company in my entire life, in any city, in any country. They have these bizarre policies where they won't do retail business, yet let you sign up as a business even if you don't have a business, then require a City of Calgary Business ID (BID) number to shop with them. That BID is then linked to your residential property record for tax purposes. Lots of risk here as you could find your property classified as a commercial business, and trigger some investigation WRT Home Occupancy Permits—which then have insurance pitfalls. They are the only company in Calgary that does this, they have no idea the implications of their own policies, and they are shooting themselves in the foot. They supply most of the hardware to big box stores, so likely don't care, nor do they understand.

Their website is horrible. When I needed several hundred spring clasps I gave up and ordered from a company in England because they were easier to deal with. I had no desire to register a BID with Richelieu. Complete nonsense.

I've thought many times of making a Richelieu Voodoo Doll and sticking brass nails into it, but with nails ordered from somewhere else as Richelieu probably has a policy against selling nails. And hinges. And clasps. And doorknobs. And....

If there is a HTML tag for [/RANT] it should be inserted here I guess.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@CalgaryPT , I agree they do have some issues - I only order a few things and not very consistently- never had a huge problem. I do feel your pain though- Fastenal here in Barrie is the same way, as is Near North Plumbing supplies. The “contractor” part I find can really drive you nuts - especially if it is a one of purchase that can fix something and you cannot locate the part anywhere else.
There used to be a great guy in town that sharpened tools - all sorts and also offered cabinet hardware at great discounts with small volume purchases - he retired and business closed, bummer.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've thought many times of making a Richelieu Voodoo Doll and sticking brass nails into it, but with nails ordered from somewhere else as Richelieu probably has a policy against selling nails. And hinges. And clasps. And doorknobs. And....

If there is a HTML tag for [/RANT] it should be inserted here I guess.

OK, this made me laugh!

I could use the rant tag a lot, and the head banging on wall one too.....:rolleyes:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Done and Done......

That hour and a half or so it took to mill slots in the new hinges was time well spent. After that it was just an exercise in unscrewing an old hinge and screwing on a new hinge.

Now I can go back to putzn with the shaper:p

Last edited: