• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-ALL OhCanada Supply

Canada Wide
Type
Supplies

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
(this post replaces my previous blunder)

I went on a hunt recently for some specific Loctite products. Seems like prices vary all over the map for identical product. Some carry this but not that. The products I bought through Amazon recently came from another land (still not sure if its legit or not, but decided to return it just to put my mind at rest). Anyways stumbled on these guys. Prices were quite good, shipped within a day (free if order > $100). Its not an everything supplier but some other items of interest & sales I'll have to keep tabs on.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
They (Princess Auto) have some thread locking materials on sale this week as well.

Yeah that is why I am going there this week as well - I want to pick up some of the stuff - its expensive but sometimes it of great use. Also some heat anti seize.

I see amazon also has the stuff and same brand names but not as low as PA sale price. Even Crappy Tire carries the stuff - but again no match for PA sale price.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Never thought about PA. Looks like they carry Permatex brand, not Loctite? On thread lockers I haven't found much difference between brands. But you're right about price
PA blue = 24.99/36ml=0.69 $/ml
OC Loctite 220 = 20.76/10ml=2.07 $/ml
I needed some specific retaining liquids, not sure what they carry in that regard. Guess I will have to venture over there one day.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes the spread in prices is shocking. I've also haven't fully explored all the different products and specifications of the array of products. For me I have on hand removable (blue/green) stuff and permanent (red) stuff. I realize there are high temp and oil resistant varieties but out of curiosity @PeterT
is there a specific application that you have that the above parameters don't cover? (Obviously you have:p)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
After perusing Loctite website & product catalogs I came to realize there is more to these types of adhesives than I realized. To answer your question, yes I had a few goodies of interest. And didnt want to commit to larger volumes because I've still got some that's real old & I suspect losing some potency.
- Need to replenish some 648 high temp retainer like what I used for valve cages in the (model radial) heads. This time I'm trying 620, higher temp yet & a bit more viscous.
- Several aluminum to aluminum light duty permanent assembly parts in various areas, going to try 660.
- Some very light retention teeny fasteners, even blue/243 might be a bit much, going to try 222.
- and more for personal R&D, SF7649, a primer/accelerator for certain combinations. I've always wondered why my stainless fasteners in aluminum don't stick quite as well & take longer to hold. It's all mentioned in the book. They make a distinctions of different alloys. On the opposite side of that issue, I (now) know that bronze sets off unexpectedly fast. I think copper content is the accelerator material.

Lots of info o the net but I pasted in some summary charts extracted from larger documents

Attachments

• retaining chart.pdf
    393.8 KB · Views: 6
  • threadlocking chart.pdf
    65.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: