• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Oddball Rotary Table

That doesn’t look bad although it could be more accurate if it had a rotary encoder in it like we were talking about a few months ago.

I dunno. Cool little project, but....

For my shop, I'd rather buy this small chuck for $187 that comes with a free rotary table with the screw indexer @Tom O suggested that can even be flipped horizontally. (heavy sarcasm intended)

By the time you buy materials, tools, and a 3-jaw chuck, you might break even.

Screenshot_20240619_073346_Chrome.jpg

Of course, there are always drawbacks. The screw indexer is 100 degrees. So it isn't well coordinated with the chuck. Still better than without it.

This device is configured as a cheaper version of a dividing head. If the dividing you want is all in even degrees, and only in the horizontal or vertical positions, it is an economical solution for a small mill. For a larger mill I think a better option is to spend double and get a dividing head with indexing plates.

This device is configured as a cheaper version of a dividing head. If the dividing you want is all in even degrees, and only in the horizontal or vertical positions, it is an economical solution for a small mill. For a larger mill I think a better option is to spend double and get a dividing head with indexing plates.

Good point @Dabbler!

It's important to look beyond the details and remember to look at the big picture.

I don’t hate Facebook, but I was able to watch the video without having to have an account.
I already have a RT with plates etc, etc, but I still really enjoyed the video.
I get lotsa ideas from clips like these, although sometimes, at 76, they seem to slip through the cracks.
Again thanks for this.

I have one of these < https://www.busybeetools.com/products/rotary-table-4in-hor-ver.html >, but it has some drawbacks that the one in the video likely avoids.
> The BB table is high and removes a bunch of headroom on my mill.
> The BB hand wheel is actually lower than the base of the unit, so I have to block it up on spacers to be able to use it horizontally, removing even more headroom. Overall height is about 3-1/2" not including a chuck.
> The BB table has only one lock screw, so heavy cuts overwhelm it and it twists.
> Lots of backlash in the worm gear, BB workmanship is not quite ready for prime time.
> Centering a chuck on the table is a pain. Takes 10 minutes of fiddling to get the chuck true to the table.

The design in the video looks like it solves a bunch of these issues, and would be relatively easy to make. I have a slew of chucks that don't fit my lathe but would be perfect for this application. I don't have room or need for a larger rotary table, most often I make do with 5C collets in a spin index. A small rotary table without the BB faults would do well for the stuff I machine.

And a stroke of genius (or maybe just a stroke), if I make an adapter plate for a three-jaw chuck to fit the swivel base for my milling vise I could swap vise for chuck and have a ready-made rotating base. And I could use my engraving machine to make the degree plate!

51wYIRTma2L._AC_SL1010_.jpg

Back