• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Not getting any Email Notifications

SkookumRob

Vendor
Premium Member
Not sure if I have something setp up incorrectly - I have double checked all the preferences, but I do not seem to be getting any email notifications of posts or mentions (or anything at all for that matter) Can you assist?

Hi:

Several pm messages have been sent to me over the last 2 days but with nary an email notification. I know it worked in the past.

Craig

Such a pain. But you said I. The last few days. I cleared the email block yesterday late afternoon. Maybe your gap was before that? I'll send you another PM right now.

Yup. Broken again.
There has to be a better way for this.
Let me check on the Hobby Machinist side as we've never had this problem. I think it may be because we're on a newer version of Xenforo.

Edit: On HM we have our own email as compared to a Gmail account so maybe that's the difference.

Last edited:
Our version isn't that old. This problem appears to be a server issue if you ask me. Let's investigate. I'll send you a PM.

Check that your sending email setting is still good. We lost email notifications after installing a Xenforo add-on, and it reset our sending email stuff. Nelson fixed it before I could find out all the deets...

That was just before COVID...

From what Josh found previously, it's a spam block issue. The SERVER (not xenforo) is rightfully suspicious about high volumes of outgoing mail. It needs to know everything is ok. One of the ways it does that is by checking against incoming mail. When it finds none, it goes into intruder alert mode and blocks everything.

I have sent it a few emails, but it's possible they arrived too late and are no longer able to keep it from getting blocked. Once blocked that doesn't work and something else needs to be reset.

It's somewhat similar to the touch dro Bluetooth issue.

I've had similar problems with my own servers when I sent out Email Blasts. The solution there was to break them up into bite-sized blasts.

Bottom line is that the server owners don't like to get blamed for spam blasts especially when it overloads a DNS relay. So they have a gazzillion checks and balances that work for normal mail but muck up automated mail like our notification system.

One possible option is to setup our forum to use a different notification methodology rather than passing it on to the hosting server. I'm exploring that now.

So why do you require E Mail notification? I get enough traffic on my E mail that 99% of i i delete right off the bat. I sure don't need an E mail telling me somebody responded to a post i made, next time i come to the site it will show up. I visit at least once a day, usually early in the morning with my first coffee. :)

So why do you require E Mail notification? I get enough traffic on my E mail that 99% of i i delete right off the bat. I sure don't need an E mail telling me somebody responded to a post i made, next time i come to the site it will show up. I visit at least once a day, usually early in the morning with my first coffee. :)

I don't use email notifications either. I have all that notification stuff turned off. I just look at what is listed under the "bell" icon for my own stuff and under the "lightning bolt" for all the latest posts.

However, email notifications are useful for those who only want to see replies to specific content they are interested in and don't want to see everything else.

As a moderator, I try to look at everything. That can be a challenge sometimes.

Like you, I get way too much junk email to look at it all. I only check my email once a day and sometimes only every two or three days.

I try to check my txts on receipt, but life sometimes gets in the way.

Back