• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Northern lights at Canada's far south!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The Northern lights are very seldom seen in Southern Ontario - maybe once every 10 years or so. Tonight they are better than I've ever seen them here before......

Looking East
20240511_033613.jpg

Looking West
20240511_033231.jpg

I'm really impressed at my phones night time photos. Both are hand held 5sec timed exposures!

I don't know if they were visible last night here in southern Alberta, the sunset was certainly beautiful but that's about all I could muster to stay up for. Getting old before you're old really sucks.

Beautiful pictures @Susquatch ....Samsung phone?

Saw some last night, the last time I saw them I was a child.

Here (NS) they were faint and mostly greyish with some slight green and pink. I was surprised to see anything because it was supposed to be cloudy, we got a quick view about midnight.

Spectacular photos @Susquatch!

Tonight is predicted to be cloudy, maybe we’ll get lucky…..

D :cool:

Beautiful pictures @Susquatch ....Samsung phone?

Yes. It has some kind of digital image stabilization. Even when you wiggle the phone, the image stays in one place. I can do up to 30 seconds, and I taken star photos. The Northern Lights started to wash out at 10. Amazing compared to what film used to be like.

Too bad. It was awesome and would have been even better in the Sault.

I thought you were a Maritimes guy?
I live in Nova Scotia but I work in Sault Saint Marie. Where I live was described as the "low wage ghetto of Canada". Not really worth it to work there. Sault Saint Marie has become my second home.

I don't know if they were visible last night here in southern Alberta...
They were, despite thin cloud cover. Myself & two of the littluns hit a country road to escape some of the light pollution around 10:30 & watched for an hour or so. Not much colour visible (some light pink/salmon) and the clouds made for more blobs of light rather than distinct shapes, but at least now they can say they've seen the aurora. Came home & had a peek at the sky again around 12:30, there was a bit more colour directly overhead but visibility was spoiled by the light pollution.

I've been getting emailed notifications for years now.

Growing up on the farm I saw them dozens of times.

Update: Apparently around 1:30 the sky cleared & the shapes & green colours were apparent, even w/ the light pollution.

Last edited:
Back