• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

No Suction

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just cleaning up my mill from all the aluminium swarf, and the vacuum didn't seem to be sucking very well like it use to. I noticed it quite a while ago, but didnt bother to remedy it, other than emptying the contents and cleaning the filter. But today was worse than usual. Took the hose off, shook it out, some stuff came out. Put a high intensity light in one end, couldnt see anything. I shook and flexed the hose, and more and more stuff came out. No light on the other side. Put a cleaning rod down and was getting stuck. Eventually it came out, and i see this hige tangled mass about 12" from the end. Put a 1lb steel weight down one end and shook the mass out. Vacuum is good as new!

Attachments

• 20230518_121019.jpg
    20230518_121019.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup. I have a reduction nozzle on the end of mine which kind of pre-filters the bigger swarf nests, but clogging over time can still happen. I've also noticed because the chips can be a bit oily, it makes for mung making conditions when alternating vacuum use for regular shop cleanup. Sawdust in particular is bad. Don't have any solution other than regular pipeline pigging. The bigger line ID helps. On my old vacuum I had a smaller more flexible line but it was plugging more frequently.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yup. I have a reduction nozzle on the end of mine which kind of pre-filters the bigger swarf nests, but clogging over time can still happen. I've also noticed because the chips can be a bit oily, it makes for mung making conditions when alternating vacuum use for regular shop cleanup.

Same here. The reducer is an inside fitting so it catches stuff.

I don't use mine for shop cleanup so "mung" is not a problem.

Still looking for a big o-ring for my Bucket vac. Might have to resort to a bucket trap instead.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Same here. The reducer is an inside fitting so it catches stuff.

I don't use mine for shop cleanup so "mung" is not a problem.

Still looking for a big o-ring for my Bucket vac. Might have to resort to a bucket trap instead.
I got the same one from HD you did. Not much suction at all and it seals perfectly on the bucket. I plugged the suction hose and dribbled dust around the edge with it running and nothing got pulled in. I think David got the last good one. This one is good for light dust around the table saw or sander but would be useless around the planer. Wouldn't even try with swarf

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does
I got the same one from HD you did. Not much suction at all and it seals perfectly on the bucket. I plugged the suction hose and dribbled dust around the edge with it running and nothing got pulled in. I think David got the last good one. This one is good for light dust around the table saw or sander but would be useless around the planer. Wouldn't even try with swarf

Does yours still blow significant air with the inlet plugged? That a clear sign of a leak someplace.

But thats two NFG units now... Not looking good.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
It is much reduced with the inlet plugged. I think it is just a weakass vacuum.
For 50 bucks I don't mind as it is handy to be able to use a bucket, even if it is kinda wimpy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It is much reduced with the inlet plugged. I think it is just a weakass vacuum.
For 50 bucks I don't mind as it is handy to be able to use a bucket, even if it is kinda wimpy.

If I cannot make mine develop enough suction I'll replace it with a transfer bucket cuz I REALLY like the idea of separate swarf pails for each metal.

Tecnico

(Dave)

I'm interested in the bucket vacuum idea too but I'm put off by the reports of lack of suction.

Just to separate the wheat from the chaff, @Susquatch could you temporarily seal the head to the bucket with duct tape and see if it's the bucket seal or if the problem is elsewhere?

Peeling back the layers of the onion, LOL!

D :cool:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Stepping outside of the box….Could you run silicone around the lid and grease the bucket so it can separate?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just to separate the wheat from the chaff, @Susquatch could you temporarily seal the head to the bucket with duct tape and see if it's the bucket seal or if the problem is elsewhere?

Stepping outside of the box….Could you run silicone around the lid and grease the bucket so it can separate?

I can do both, and will. But prolly not till Tuesday. We have grandkids here for the long weekend.

I'm glad to see there is interest in resolving this. I'm just about fed up. The interest of others makes it feel like it's worth doing.