• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

NMTB 40 taper face mill holders

Martin w

Hello , newbie here on the forum. I made a couple tool holders for two face mills my father had from his shop. He passed almost 20 years ago so I finally got around to being able to use them.Not sure what steel it is, I picked a piece up at the scrap yard and had enough for two holders. We’ll see. I am not a machinist so I have a little run out, but they cut nice . I guess if I make another I would try and do fewer operations so I don’t have to re-chuck it in the lathes 4 jaw
Cheers
Martin
BA5AB00D-ABFB-4801-A30A-375B4E6B2EE7.jpeg

Attachments

• 9065C9F8-55F1-4D17-9D58-F2DD3BBA5F96.jpeg
    9065C9F8-55F1-4D17-9D58-F2DD3BBA5F96.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 6

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
They look a bit less shiny then the one I made some time ago. Also some runout on mine - I now know how to make these better but have no need to make more. Well maybe I make 3/4" holder but first I try 3/4" to 1" sleeve.

The trick to get the angle right on the taper is to use good indicator. The trick to get rid of most runout is to finish the diameter of the hole to the proper dimension once in the actual mill holder.

I also made a small face-mill holder with a straight shank 1" - that one has little run-out.