• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Nickel Plating Putter head

neer724

Looking for some advice - I recently refinished a putter for a friend, sanded it and buffed it to a mirror shine and redid the paint fill. After a couple of rounds he comes back to me saying the putter is starting to rust badly. It looks like it was originally nickel plated. The putter is made of some carbon steel.

So I took it back, cleaned it up and apply a lot of Rust Check all over and let it sit for a couple days. This worked well for about 3 rounds however it is slowly starting to rust again.

Does anyone know of any places that does small nickel plating jobs in the Toronto area? I called one place and he kind of laughed me off saying he had a minimum charge of $150.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Steve

You can do this at home, use caution though as there are a few dangerous chemicals and a electricity involved.

To save a bit of lazyness YouTube.

As to a minimum charge of $150.00, come on he's going to spend at least 2hrs + materials and overhead just for one little part, don't forget services are hobbies or free.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Powder coating putters is pretty common, that may be an option you could consider

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Sorry for pointing you to a bad method, didn't even watch just searched it to point in the direction.
From what I remember, and it was a long time ago, the solution for first plating copper is something toxic including fumes. Not sure. There might be less toxic ways now. After all we're no longer allowed to play with Asbestos paper or TriClorethene. Here in Victoria we're not even allowed to use broad leaf herbicides.

But even then, covering something that might be releasing hydrogen gas into a closed space while playing with clip leads and 30V that could spark when you accidentally touch them.

I've got the AdBlocker Ultimate running so I probably missed his disclaimer, if he has one.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
But even then, covering something that might be releasing hydrogen gas into a closed space while playing with clip leads and 30V that could spark when you accidentally touch them.
Had a set of front end loader batteries EXPLODE last winter from an onboard 7.5a 24v charger. They were under the seat, in the cab. Hydrogen is nothing to fool around with.

From what I remember, and it was a long time ago, the solution for first plating copper is something toxic including fumes. Not sure. There might be less toxic ways now. After all we're no longer allowed to play with Asbestos paper or TriClorethene. Here in Victoria we're not even allowed to use broad leaf herbicides.

I've got the AdBlocker Ultimate running so I probably missed his disclaimer, if he has one.
Careful you are opening a can of worms by mentioning banned substances, just think what would happen if you get a few unmentioned members started :rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Had a set of front end loader batteries EXPLODE last winter from an onboard 7.5a 24v charger. They were under the seat, in the cab. Hydrogen is nothing to fool around with.
Not to mention battery acid all over the place.......