• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Newb from Ontario

Boltgun

Hi all!

Boltgun here...board name, real name is Mark. I am a novice machiner budding late in life...retired but got lots of years left in me. Here to learn and hopefully buy machines at some point.

Regards
Boltgun

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Welcome to the group. I’m in Ancaster and Lake of Bays (Summer). Are you just starting in this abyss or have you been at it a while? Are you a South Bend or Atlas guy or something more larger? Come on Mark..... give us a bit of the background.

Cheers

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boltgun

Derek,

I am retired Law Enforcement. Have been into shooting since I was 14 and as part of my LE background, I was an armorer and oversaw the armorer work for my agency. It developed into a desire to do gunsmithing which has further developed into metal working period. My biggest issue is splitting funds between hobbies - LOL. I have a king lathe 12x36. I haven't used it yet. Plan on getting it set up shortly. I would love to get my hands on a BP clone in the 9x42 size. I also wanna get into knife making and welding....champagne taste on a beer man's salary.

Mark

TOBARApprentice

Super User
You are amongst friends. We are all in this to varying degrees. I’m in well over my head. I started out about 5 years ago “tooling up”. I’m in aviation and as such generally have some excess time to devote to learning machining; moreso now. I have an Atlas 10F lathe but a buddy of mine has a King (similar size to yours) and he loves it. I’d like bigger but for the time being I am restricted by space, but not forever. I have a small knee mill (vertical) a 7x32 and I love it. Does everything I ask. A small shaper and horizontal mill round out the machines with a 6x18 surface grinder in the mother in laws garage awaiting some TLC. Please keep in touch..... we’re all in this together. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk