• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New vise for the mill

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
I picked up a Kurt blemished 6” vise this week. Purchased it directly from Kurt. Was at my front door in 3 days! I cant even get mail in Canada that fast! With shipping it came to $782 Canadian. Ther will be tax payable as well but still, that is much ,much cheaper than anyone in Canada.

I looked hard, but i cannot find any blemishes or casting porosity in the vise. The only thing i can see is a slight mark on the moving jaw. I am extremely happy to have a vise that doesn’t look like Swiss cheese and lift the part being clamped 10 thou every time it is tightened. It is a worthwhile purchase for me. Sometimes it is nice to have new tools and put your own blemishes on the instead of inheriting them.

2EB438C1-76C9-4B39-9E83-FB8A759DAAB0.jpeg 01A170E8-BCBA-4B0A-9233-D5A0B4B24571.jpeg

Everett

Super User
That is awesome, even a Kurt "blemish" is better than some of the stuff that is labelled "high-quality" from certain other regions of this planet!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm sure you will be happy with your Kurt, wart and all! Your pictures don't show the side - is it a DX6 or a 633? In the U.S. they still sell both models.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
It is a DX6. When i ordered they had 5 blemished model available. The only other blemish i can see is a small mark on the slide for the moving jaw. Still has a full warranty though.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good buy
I've noticed Shars does sell some established brands as well as their regular imports from Asia. They show DX6 (crossover model) is on sale for 556 USD, but that's before shipping & fees of course.
https://www.shars.com/kurt-dx6-crossover-6-vise-with-9-opening

Seems like with some manufacturers its a distributer wide thing. I've seen Mitutoyo come on sale at one place & coincidentally many others have a promo going on. Not always & still price variations but something to watch if you are eyeing something in particular.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dumb question but what is under the protective caps? 18 on their sketch. Anything to adjust or just how they are built?

1631374706607.png

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
Peter, I havent been brave enough to look under the caps. I figure that if I take them off I will never get them back on properly. I think it is just a plug that goes over the holes that are bored into the base for the sine keys you can purchase to align the vise on a table slot. The sine keys are held in with an o ring so you would have to push them out from the top to remove them.