ronb11

Hello Everyone,
I am a retired machinist with an abundance of measuring tools and cutters that I have accumulated over my career. I am looking to try and sell off all of them. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Better be careful Ron. You might like it here and change your mind about selling everything.

We mostly do metal work for the fun of it and you might rekindle an old romance.

At the very least you might take a few new machinists under your wing and show them a few tricks of the trade.

ronb11

Better be careful Ron. You might like it here and change your mind about selling everything.

We mostly do metal work for the fun of it and you might rekindle an old romance.

At the very least you might take a few new machinists under your wing and show them a few tricks of the trade.
I wish I had the space, my old shop in Guelph was almost 1000 sq ft, I now have about 200, not much room to say the least. But hey, always willing to pass along any help to anyone who wants to listen to an old antiquated fart like me!!! lol

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wish I had the space, my old shop in Guelph was almost 1000 sq ft, I now have about 200, not much room to say the least. But hey, always willing to pass along any help to anyone who wants to listen to an old antiquated fart like me!!! lol

Lots of us are old farts too. I'm 77 and there are members crowding 90. Lots of new machinists and a few experienced folks who would listen to your advice with great interest.

Enjoy!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome to the forum from a retired guy in Burlington. This being retired is the best job i ever had. :)
Half of our residential garage is my hobby shop. Just a little bigger than the 200sq ft you mentioned. The shop for my rock drilling business was 4000sq ft, so I did a big down size. Do I wish my hobby shop was bigger- yes! Absolutely! Do i like it - no, I love it out there!!
As Susquatch said. Maybe you might want to rethink your retirement pass-time before giving up your things for pennies on the dollar.

But if you proceed with the sell-off of your equipment, then IMO the Forum (site mentioned above) is a great place to:
- help out other fellow metal workers;
- deal with mostly friendly and honest people (I only added the ‘mostly’ because, unfortunately all groups have scum, but the % here is very very low;
- selling on Kijiji or other sites has mostly friendly and honest people too- but the much higher scum % is a concern.

Last edited:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Guelph- that’s close. Would very much like to come and talk for awhile- mostly listen.
I can be a sponge for info.
I’ll send you a private message.

ronb11

Welcome to the forum from a retired guy in Burlington. This being retired is the best job i ever had. :)
Half of our residential garage is my hobby shop. Just a little bigger than the 200sq ft you mentioned. The shop for my rock drilling business was 4000sq ft, so I did a big down size. Do I wish my hobby shop was bigger- yes! Absolutely! Do i like it - no, I love it out there!!
As Susquatch said. Maybe you might want to rethink your retirement pass-time before giving up your things for pennies on the dollar.

But if you proceed with the sell-off of your equipment, then IMO the Forum (site mentioned above) is a great place to:
- help out other fellow metal workers;
- deal with mostly friendly and honest people (I only added the ‘mostly’ because, unfortunately all groups have scum, but the % here is very very low;
- selling on Kijiji or other sites has mostly friendly and honest people too- but their much higher scum % is a concern.
Thanks for the insight, my future plans for retirement involve spending winters in Florida fishing in the gulf, with the summers spend with my grandkids on the lake here in the Kawarthas, other than that it's puttering, lol

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Guelph- that’s close. Would very much like to come and talk for awhile- mostly listen.
I can be a sponge for info.
I’ll send you a private message.

Guelph is doable. Keep me in the loop. I'll try and join you and I'll buy lunch for both of you!

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver!

The beauty of retirement and a home shop is you get to do the stuff you love without any externally-applied time constraints. Spend all day futzing around to fix a $15 thrift-shop find? Bliss.