• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Philt

Hello everyone. I just joined the group this morning. I am new to working with a metal lathe. Finding myself having a constant need to repair, alter, make, etc. various metal things while using bench grinders, angle grinders, files, and sanders to machine them, I decided it was time to stop torturing myself and buy a small metal lathe. So, last winter, I picked up a used six inch Atlas metal lathe that requires fixing and attention but is functional. I am enjoying the process of learning to use it and also repairing it.
I was pleased to find and join this forum which has a wealth of information on metal working. Also since I do not have any friends or relatives that have any experience with lathe work, this forum allows me to ask and share information with other enthusiasts.

Welcome aboard from Victoria.
I believe we have members with Atlas experience.

Welcome from Ontario Farm Country south of Chatham.

I think you will find lots here to help you and that your own experiences will contribute to other members enjoyment.

Just watch out for the crusty old hairy guy......

Welcome from Vancouver! Good old Atlas 618, I made enough money with my first Atlas to buy my first Busy Bee lathe. And buying lathes spiraled out of control from there…

Welcome from southern Alberta. I suspect you will enjoy this forum. I had (still do in storage) an Atlas 618 and enjoyed it very much for what it was.

Back