• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New guy from Lethbridge

Soreneck Racing

Hello all,

Stumbled across this forum yesterday. I am an older guy near retirement. Just built a garage and want to pursue metal working as a hobby.

I have an old stick welder and an old Mig welder along with a very old Craftsman lathe from the 1940's. The lathe works but needs a little work. It has a very small chuck (4 inch!).

Would like to spend more time in the garage but still working full time and have a side business and an old 1910 house that I am still working on.

Funny how every sentence mentions "old", still think I am 26 though!

Thanks,

Dave

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Welcome from Calgary.
We’re all 26 until physical activity reminds us we’re not. That was a big lesson I learned when I retired.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from a former Lethbridge resident. Way back I lived near Henderson Lake, 2829 6 Ave A...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome.
Hey nice to have another southern guy around! I too had a little old atlas lathe so I know a bit about them.
I wish my body could let me dream just once in awhile that I was 26. Unfortunately it reminds me pretty much every day that 26 was well, pretty much 26 years ago!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Another Island welcome Dave. Is your Craftsman a 109 or 101? I've had both in the past and once I started to learn to use them it started me on the road to what boaters call "two footitis", where your always looking for a bigger lathe:).

Soreneck Racing

It is a Craftsman 109 lathe. Not bad shape for it age, all things considered. When I did some reading up on it, found out that Sears carried quite a bit of metal working machinery. Interesting to see the items that could be purchased for your shop through them!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another Island welcome Dave. Is your Craftsman a 109 or 101? I've had both in the past and once I started to learn to use them it started me on the road to what boaters call "two footitis", where your always looking for a bigger lathe:).
Yup that disease two footitis affects decisions regarding boats, planes, trailers and machinery. Be careful its particularly contagious if you associate with others with similar interests.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It is a Craftsman 109 lathe. Not bad shape for it age, all things considered. When I did some reading up on it, found out that Sears carried quite a bit of metal working machinery. Interesting to see the items that could be purchased for your shop through them!
Yup you could get all sorts of great things from Sears at one time, machinery and tools and guns etc. That was all before my time but I have some old Sears catalogs and they are fun to look through .

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Welcome from Calgary. You need to expand a little on the background of your handle. Soreneck Racing?

Soreneck Racing

20 years ago or so, I used to enjoy demolition derby. Very first car, very first derby, very first hit by another car, I was knocked off my seat and got a good shaking up. Noted that my neck was sore the next day and for a couple of weeks afterwards.

A while later I joined a demolition derby forum and needed a nickname. First couple that I tried were already used, so I picked Soreneck Racing and it worked. Have used the same nickname on a couple of other forums that I lurk on, mostly to get the pictures of everyones projects.

I "competed" in the derbies for the next five summers or so, but gave it up as it was a pretty expensive but fun hobby. Wanted to try circle track racing, but after talking to a few guys, it was more expensive! They told me it was work on your car all week, race it on Saturday, fix your car all week and race it on Saturday. Rinse and repeat.

So now I just tinker in the garage, and maybe go watch a demolition derby in the summer time. Probably next summer, assuming that COVID-19 is finished!

trlvn

Ultra Member
So you've got this model?

15534-A.jpg

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=269&tab=4

They were manufactured for Sears by "Double A Products". The same lathe was offered by Simpsons in Canada under the "Simpsons Supremacy" label.

Does it have a planetary gear set in the headstock to enable back gears?

Craig

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
In the late 70s I inherited my grandfathers 109 that he bought new. I started to play with it a few years ago and it just snowballed.
I have a softcopy of the operators manual with parts list if you need it.
Here's a pic of mine (sold a while ago). I never had the original motor pulley so I have a supply of different size pulleys that I'd change as required.

Attachments

• P1010514.JPG
    P1010514.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 0