• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New from Calgary

DH930

Hi everyone, my name is Dai. I live in NW Calgary.

I'm here to get some resources on local talents and perhaps one day to own a metal lathe and can help someone else. I'm in the process of restoring a 1940s Walker Turner 900 drill press. I have disassemble and re-assemble the drill but to find that the spindle is wobbling. I know this is my first post, however, I wanted to see if there is anyone local to me with a metal lathe that would like to help. I needed to check and see if the drill spindle is straight and true. And of course I can pay with cash, beers, wine, or hard liquor. :)

Thanks,
Dai

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
HI Dai!
Welcome.
Why do you think the spindle is wobbly exactly? Typical problem with drill presses is getting the chuck mated to the spindle/taper straight. Is the taper wobbly or the chuck? You need 3 posts before you can post pictures and pictures always help.
John

DH930

Hi everyone,

Thank you for warm welcomes and greetings.

Janger, I am also suspected the chuck mount on the spindle is the problem because it seems slightly bulged from what appeared to be hammering from previous owner. This can be easily fixed with a metal lathe by shaved that bulges out. While on the lathe, it can be checked to see if there is any other problem on the spindle. I want to make sure that it is not the spindle deformity so I don't have to source a replacement on Ebay. The chuck is brand new so I am not suspecting that the chuck mounting hole is the problem.

I hope this helps.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Dai - we can put your spindle on my lathe if you like - other forum members might be closer to home in the NW so if anybody else wants to put their hand up.... ?

Crosche

Super User
Hello Dai,

A belated welcome to the forum. I am in NW Calgary as well, so if you need a hand with something or care to check out my shop just give me a shout.

Cheers,

Chad