• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

new DCMT toolholders

Everett

Super User
Thanks, was just curious what they were like for the regular consumer. Rob (xynudu) from Australia, Pierre, and John Mills in England have all done reviews for Banggood so they're likely to be treated well, but was interested to see what they were like for regular sales. I've only used eBay and some Amazon but the vendors have to behave themselves in those environments to a certain extent or lose their credibility (and therefore sales).

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've used AliExpress & Ebay predominantly. No problems with Ali other than shipping time which is a common issue regardless if originating from Asia. I have not used Bangood but for no particular reason. Sometimes I see the exact same item and/or even same seller across all 3 platforms.

Maybe its me or the particular machining type stuff I'm looking at, but seems like Ali has increasingly more items identified for shipping by DHL or similar faster courier mode vs. the classic TheSlowBoat free shipping or minimal shipping cost mode. That expedited / trackable? mode cost can add substantially. Maybe its a trend or maybe just select sellers but I have noticed expedited is the ONLY way they ship, no SlowBoat is even available. Maybe they are bigger more industrial sellers or maybe they have had too many delivery issues? The expedited seems a bit cheaper than ordering the same item out of USA weight/size factored by USPS, but this is just a generalization.

Another interesting thing is going to be how tariffs will/will not apply to us 2019+. If a USA company imports a tariff add Chinese item, I suspect that will be a cost add to them & this dinger will get passed onto a CDN order. That's before any new-Nafta, GST etc. Now if you bought the exact same item from China direct, we don't have these trade war tariffs (yet) so maybe mitigating these dispute tariffs? Its a mess, that's all I know.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Most of the free shipping has disappeared from Aliexpress. ☹️
Depending on the vendor shipping starts at about $6. Those that only use couriers are much higher.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Most of the free shipping has disappeared from Aliexpress. ☹️
Depending on the vendor shipping starts at about $6. Those that only use couriers are much higher.
I was reading about this today. Apparently the postal strike caused the vendors to stop post shipments as they were being refused by Canada post. I hope this gets resolved but we’re small potatoes...ugh.

Downwindtracker2

We assume postal service is efficient and honest, if somewhat slow. In a lot of the world that simply isn't true. I've gotten books from South Africa,, they use courier if they want to be assured it will arrive.