• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Never trust someone to bid on an auction for you..

deleted_user

Super User
I watched an online auction all night long, and bought a couple of things myself, I coordinated with my brother who was also bidding on a few things.
I mentioned this control panel I saw listed. It was for industrial equipment made by Gardner Denver and had hundreds of dollars of components on it including Eaton Power supply, DIN rails and tons of terminal blocks and a 550/575/600 to 110/115/120 transformer rated for 150 Volt-Amps. Just two parts retail for 700 CAD. I told him make sure you buy it because I can resell the components I dont want, and there were at least $250 worth of components I could use right now.

Long story short, his bid sat at 10 bucks all night. In the last few minutes someone else bid $20 and he failed to bid over them... he said it was questionable in his mind.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think @Susquatch can relate to this.....:p
Ended up with a dozen vintage duck decoys v.s. one ..... or something to that effect....... LOL

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The auction bids I didn't win always haunt me more than the ones I know I overpaid for. And I've bought a lot of stupid shit at auctions over the years.... lol.

I don't have a brother, but I have a sister, and if she told me to win an auction at all costs, I would leave her credit card in a smouldering heap...

Sorry for your loss.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Long story short, his bid sat at 10 bucks all night. In the last few minutes someone else bid $20 and he failed to bid over them... he said it was questionable in his mind.

I'm one of those horrible despicable snipers. I never bid on anything till the last 15 seconds. Then I go all in with whatever it's worth to me.

The only time I ever break that rule is when I can't be there. Then I wait as long as possible and post what it's worth to me then. I only ever gave my credit card to someone else once.

Ended up with a dozen vintage duck decoys v.s. one ..... or something to that effect....... LOL

I'll NEVER give my credit card to anyone again as long as I live..... My wife had my second son, I was bankrupt, and I almost got divorced all in one single act of stupidity.

I don't have a brother, but I have a sister, and if she told me to win an auction at all costs, I would leave her credit card in a smouldering heap...

Yup, that's about exactly what she (my "friend") did to mine.....