• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Need two surfaces machined on a old bolt action

Mark Mac

I have an old mauser I'm barreling. I need the front of the receiver trued. It needs .001" to true it, another couple to make it pretty. Then the barrel needs the tenon cut to match. I have a fixture to hold the receiver. It is case hardened, the barrel is chrome moly.

Mark

Mark Mac

I see that this interests no one. Would anyone be interested in renting me time on their machine? I have my own lathe cutting tools, measuring tools, and holding fixture. I think it is 1/2 hour work for someone competent, probably take me 2 hours. I just need a lathe.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm not sure it was clear you had a job you were asking for help on Mark. There are some shooting enthusiasts on here. Give em a chance. Guys?

Some pictures go a long way....

Mark Mac

Thanks for the direction.

The outer ring needs to be concentric to the inner surface (primary torque shoulder). I have lapped the primary torque shoulder ( not shown in picture) and measured from the outer ring. It has approximately .001" variation. My primary goal is just create a parallel surface. The new barrel seated has a 11-12 thou space between this outer ring and the one set on the barrel. So the second surface is the surface from the new barrel that seats on the primary torque surface on the receiver. I need the barrel to crush on the inner surface and just touch the outer.

The chamber is precut 0.050" short. I have a finish reamer and can set headspace by hand once the barrel is installed.

IMG_20160122_071008.jpg

Mark Mac

Hey Eddie,
It was great to meet you yesterday. I learned a lot, and thank you for the help. I'll bring it by when I finish it.
Cheers,
Mark

sorrelcreek

Hi mark it was fun hanging out and chatting with you too. If you need anything else machined or know anyone that needs something done let them know about me.

I can't wait to see the finished rifle when your done it sounds great.

Eddie