• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Need some guidance on a lathe/mill comb machine

Tips/Techniques
Good day everyone,
Once again I need to tap into the huge knowledge base on this site.
Up where I reside, used smaller machinist equipment is very rare. Machine shops selling at auction aren't very common even. But I came across this machine for sale close to me.
It's a lathe/mill combo machine. I know many people say that separate machines are better, but this is kind of a unique situation. The fellow selling this machine inherited it from his father, and has no interest in it, but he's looking to trade for a tractor. Something we aquired and need to get rid of.
Here's the machine , info plate, and a page off the internet that shows the specs. And the link to the information I've found. - https://www.made-in-china.com/showr...300-2-4-5-AT125-AT320-AT400-AT520-AT750-.html
- It has been for sale for close to 5 months, and by the new ad, the fellow selling it has been getting a lot of tire kickers. He knows very little about it, except his father paid $9000 for it new, and it has sat unused for the majority of the time. It was made in 1998.
He's asking $6000, which I believe is much too high, with the price of more current machines available now.
What are the thoughts about this one on here? I am moving, and will have quite a bit of room, so I thought this would be useful if the price was right. I'm working towards a small home business, and this machine could be set up to do specific processes of manufacturing items. I have a benchtop lathe and milling machine as well already. I feel it could be really handy if the shape is good and the price works in my favour.
I have to find out if any tooling comes with it.
Could anyone please give me a few things to look for specifically if I go look at it. I know to look for wear on the ways, sloppy bearings, how smoothly things move, wear in general.
Any input is appreciated.
Ken Kokosha FFE68D6B-DD12-40A2-BF4F-C919646C1B47.jpeg E75124E9-2B18-4E96-804B-719C5BDD0379.jpeg BEACD3B6-076B-48F5-BFA6-E73118A41537.png
Thanks in advance, Ken Kokosha

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member

I'm with John on this one. You'll need to shop around and see what else you can get for that kind of money but there will probably be as good or better for a lot less money.
You could take a couple of these ads to the guy showing the prices and see if he comes down to earth.
The other question is if it will serve your intended purpose.
good luck.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Yes it seems a bit hard to believe it was worth $9000 new in 1998. Seems like someone added an extra zero in there. China has upped its game a lot in 25 years, and many would argue it is still not that high.

Thanks so far.
I thought that original price he quoted seemed terribly high, but I wanted to double check in case it was some industrial grade unit or something.
I won't bother contacting him, unless I have some time to spare. If it's still for sale once the snows gone, maybe I'll see if he'll listen to reason on the price.
Like I said, units of any kind close to me are rare to non existent, but I won't pay triple just because it's local.

Ken

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
First 2000$ for this unit is generous, not scamming him at all. In these cases I leave him my number and my price. twice the guy has come back to me at my price.

Second where is 'near me'? Machines can be shipped, sometimes by the free informal Canadian Hobby Freight Service. If you are 'near me' I'd be happy to help. I'm in Calgary.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My two cents...
It appears to be in good shape and if the pictures and story are any indication I would be surprised if there are any wear issues that you need to be concerned about. It is what it is....an older Chinese combo machine. I'd be surprised if that machine sold for more than $2500 MAX brand spanking new in 1998.
Early asian made machines became popular not because they were fantastic machines but because they were good deals for the money. They all have/had their weaknesses and blems but the low selling price made that bitter pill easier to swallow.

Nothing really has changed that much in the new asian or the used asian made machines. Even the poorest machines out there can be a good deal if the price is right.

If I was in the market for the combo machine mentioned I would not consider paying anything over $2500 unless it had a WHACK of tooling to go along with it.

Yes combo machines have some pretty big drawbacks but you can't compare a $2500-$3500 combo machine to a $3000 lathe and a $3000 mill.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Frankly, I'm in the forget about that one and improve your shipping camp.

Many are happy with combo machines and many are not. I'd say it's worth 1500 - 2000 for someone who wants it. But I wouldn't pay that if I'm only buying that cuz I didn't have other options.

Do some figuring on how to move stuff to wherever you are - vaca with a flatbed, bonus to someone going anyway, help from a friend, take the bride to a movie 2000 km away, etc etc

Then find what you want for what it's worth to you.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
First 2000$ for this unit is generous, not scamming him at all. In these cases I leave him my number and my price. twice the guy has come back to me at my price.

Second where is 'near me'? Machines can be shipped, sometimes by the free informal Canadian Hobby Freight Service. If you are 'near me' I'd be happy to help. I'm in Calgary.

You beat me to it - as I was going to say "WHAT! That much $$$ for that!"

I fully agree $2000 is a LOT of money for such unit. I mean we have on this board a gorgeous milling machine for tiny $1000.

For the price he got this mixed up with "Smithy" type machine - these are indeed expensive, but this is NOT one of them.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Where's here?

I think its a lot more than triple. There just was a myford super 7, looked great, for 1800 on fb for example. I know distance and shipping are a major hassle....but we're HSM's so rationalization is our speciality - whats a bit of travel and shipping compared to the benefits of no traffic and reasonable housing prices? :)

trlvn

Ultra Member
I am moving, and will have quite a bit of room, so I thought this would be useful if the price was right. I'm working towards a small home business, and this machine could be set up to do specific processes of manufacturing items. I have a benchtop lathe and milling machine as well already. I feel it could be really handy
It is hard for me to imagine a 'specific process of manufacturing' where a combo machine would be advantageous over separate machines. Maybe if you had to do some turning operations and then cross drill the part, it might save a setup?

The specs say the whole machine is about 400 pounds. It is going to be pretty flexible so tight tolerances are not going to happen. It says the 'head travel' is only 3 inches. That is insanely limiting.

Maybe I'm wrong but that machine looks like the worst of Chinese manufacturing. The motors could burn up at any moment. The gears could strip while machining butter. I'd bet even money that there are casting voids that could swallow a small child. Etc, etc.

If 'Dad' paid $9,000 for this...he would have been a favourite of P.T. Barnum! ;)

IMHO

Craig

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Run for the hills man.l

I owned the model AT300 and the only difference I can see from mine is the mill has a bit of a column and a separate motor. Mine was solid head mill with only adjustment was the quill and the mill was turned by an angle gear & jack shaft off the lathe drive. As others have stated , lathe bed is much too light , flex's under any cutting force used.
As for price, he's so far out that it is unbelievable, I paid under $900 for my 300 ( name plate in photo appears to show same manuf. date within a year), this one was prob 2 or 300 more at the time. I sold mine a year later for $250 because i just didn't feel right saddling somebody with that much of a dud for any more dollars.
I did sell it to a friend but with full disclosure of the things shortcomings...that was 23 yrs ago and I just had coffee with the guy last Sunday in my living room and I still was on pins & needles that he might hit me with the coffee cup.
I say again "run for the hills"

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Other people are nicer than me. Just say no. Sell your tractor and buy stuff for the mill and lathe you already have. $9k in 1998 is ridiculous. Or keep the tractor. Tractors are useful. If that was free it wouldn’t be worth the trouble to move it or the space it would take up in my shop. The milling performance is going to be poor in my opinion. It’s rusty... sorry Ken.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
If I'm not mistaken, that combo machine is the same as one a friend of mine purchased in Malaysia when I was stationed there in the mid 90s. Flat bed, very high tailstock, aound 300mm swing over bed. At the time they were selling for around $1600 Aust, that's around $1200 US at today's exchange rate obviously much cheaper in Malaysia. It was a heap of rubbish. If it is the same machine, I think the seller is having a lend of you, $9,000 US, I don't think so.
You can get a new Optimum combo machine for around $3,500 Aust.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I thought that original price he quoted seemed terribly high, but I wanted to double check in case it was some industrial grade unit or something.
I won't bother contacting him, unless I have some time to spare. If it's still for sale once the snows gone, maybe I'll see if he'll listen to reason on the price.
Like I said, units of any kind close to me are rare to non existent, but I won't pay triple just because it's local.

Ken

Take your time in this economy, some people are buying just about anything for ridiculous prices. I would save your $$ for a least 6-8 months, then, I'm sure you will see much better deals.
I would stay away from the combo's , but that's just me.
Jus' my thoughts thou...

Last edited: