NEED ANVIL?

KeeponDragon

Super User
huh...well whatay know...that one didn't pop up in this months price wrecker...
I have three rail track anvils...because the rail crops were free...
but they're also crops, from brand new rails, so they lack the work hardening that older rail has...
For me, they work fine, but the advantage over them by the PA unit, is the size of the work face
That said tho...I haven't done a lot of smithing...so the "need" for a wider work face is lost on me

I have a PA 75lb one for $70.00, good enough for what I need so far, however the face is a little on the soft side so if I intend to use it seriously I intend to hardcoat it with a specialized stick rod and the refinish the face (saw this trick on YouTube about 4-5 years ago) about the same time I bought it so I assume it was going to be required.

Until then use it and abuse it ;) as it sits mostly idle.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've been patiently waiting for them to drop to about 300$. Above that, not interesting to me.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Sounds too good to be true..... Gotta be a catch.....
That's what I was thinking when I ordered mine for $100 more. But no catch. Turns out inert lumps of steel are pretty cheap to make, and steel casting alloy quality is *way* up from 20 years ago.
This completely puts to rest my old complaint of anvils costing more by the pound than power hammers.

cjmac

He
I bought the 110lbs version cast steel anvil from Vevor a couple of months ago. Look the same as above. Came in a wooden crate, free shipping. Looks fine. Haven't hit it with a hammer yet. It is in the Victoria area if anyone wants to look at it.

Chris
Here are pictures.

Attachments

• Vevor anvil resized.jpg
    Vevor anvil resized.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Vevor anvil side shot resized.jpg
    Vevor anvil side shot resized.jpg
    907.2 KB · Views: 11

KeeponDragon

Super User
Can you still face it if the anvil is cast though?
A guy would need a helluva heat source to warm it up enough no?
I have a PA 75lb one for $70.00, good enough for what I need so far, however the face is a little on the soft side so if I intend to use it seriously I intend to hardcoat it with a specialized stick rod and the refinish the face (saw this trick on YouTube about 4-5 years ago) about the same time I bought it so I assume it was going to be required.

Until then use it and abuse it ;) as it sits mostly idle.