• Guest, Group Cold Roll 1018 purchase is being discussed... Participate here
  • Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

Need a 5" Dividing head?

Alexander

Premium Member
Good eye. I am really starting to like Amazon. I don't buy anything expensive on there just stuff like rechargeable battery packs and auto parts. This looks like a pretty good deal to me.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Check the fine print unless you have USA middleman dropoff provisions

This item does not ship to Calgary, Canada. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally.

well they shipped it to me for free. There was tax, custom's fee and a small duty charge. All of it was a little over $40.00 and about a month later sent me $1.56 refund. All together the $300.00 us dividing head cost me $443.00 kanuck bucks.

It is better quality than I expected. The owners/users manual is horrible but Grizzly tools has a great manual for it on their website. It is free and in PDF form.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's great news. I actually had a similar experience with dot com. Even though it said 'does not ship to Canada / my location' I stuck it in the cart & pressed Buy just to see. Sure enough the transaction completed. But I've also had some that refused to go through. So I guess it depends. But I really cant say what it depends on!

Tom O

Usually if there is something I want and it says not to Canada I will contact them and tell them I’m familiar with the way that it works with the exchange rate and customs and that there will be no problems this usually works.

I also ordered one of these a little while back. I think it came to $415 all said and done.

Buckbrush, were you able to adjust the backlash out of the gearing effectively? I found the worm gear (not the worm itself) to be slightly out of concentricity, meaning it's tight 0-180 degrees and loose 180-360... which is rather unfortunate. Otherwise it's a pretty nice unit.

I also ordered one of these a little while back. I think it came to $415 all said and done.

Buckbrush, were you able to adjust the backlash out of the gearing effectively? I found the worm gear (not the worm itself) to be slightly out of concentricity, meaning it's tight 0-180 degrees and loose 180-360... which is rather unfortunate. Otherwise it's a pretty nice unit.

Mine is fine, I think there is something about backlash adjustment in the grizzly manual. Cocentricity wise, I am not sure how to fix that. Perhaps a new part from Grizzly?

Yeah it is adjustable. The worm sits in a eeccentric bushing you can rotate and adjust the backlash. But because of the concentricity issue the best I can get is no blacklash/binding on the one side and about 1/4 to 1/2 of a degree of slop on the far side.

To me, having taken the whole thing apart now, it looks like the worm gear was pressed onto the key-way a little crooked, maybe deforming the gear? The worm and worm gear look like quality parts so I don't think poor tolerances are to blame. The run-out on the taper (which I'm pretty sure is a MT2 not a BS-7 as spec'd) is near zero, like less than one or two tenths. I was really impressed. (My only gripe with the unit is the low quality handle, "Sector" arms and a few unbroken edges)

Anyway , if you get a chance try adjusting yours and see what you find, I'm curious.

B&S#7 and MT #2 tapers are very close to the same taper. I have a mill with a B&S#7 taper, it came with B&S#7 collets and a couple of MT #2 collets and they both have no run out.

I'll have to take a more careful look. But it felt like a pretty good fit...

The run-out was measured free-spinning the dividing head with the chuck off. I think when measuring the outside of the chuck it was only 0.0005" when mounted and spun. Pretty good in my opinion. I didn't chuck anything up, as I never have high expectations with 3-jaw chucks... I plan to put a 4-Jaw on it.

I'll post some pictures when I get the chance.

I also prefer a 4 jaw. I have purchased a 125 mm 4 jaw and backplate for mine, but I have not fitted the back plate yet. This was an Ebay purchase. There is big price range for the same chuck on there so look carefully. Chuck is a Chinese 72 model with reversible jaws, not the lighter duty model with inside and outside jaws..