• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Myford (UK) Parts Shipping

Tips/Techniques
Type
Other

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
Just thought the Myford owners here would like a heads up. I’ve bought things from both RDG and Myford and what arrived from Myford today was shipped via Royal Mail vs. DHL which RDG uses.

The difference? Canada post which handles the Royal Mail shipments here delivered to my doorstep by a cheery person with the package cleared at no extra charge and with their machine ready to take my credit card for the BST. Oh and my dog got a nice greeting too!

The RDG/DHL shipment needed to be cleared at the local CBSA office by their “helpful & eager” staff or by DHL for a service charge.

Bottom line, I was surprised that Myford would use the RM for international shipping so if you’re in the market for Myford parts then Myford is my first choice.

D :cool:

Didn't RDG purchase inventory and the rights to Myford's name many years ago? Are they now separate companies? Everything from RDG seemed to be from India. Where are the Myfords parts now made?

Didn't RDG purchase inventory and the rights to Myford's name many years ago? Are they now separate companies? Everything from RDG seemed to be from India. Where are the Myfords parts now made?
Not sure if it was RDG but something like that happened.

If you look at RDG and Myford both business names are at the same address so there’s a definite connection. RDG does offer things for other machines along with some Myford parts.

Last edited:
Just watch that you don't inadvertently pay 20% VAT, esp. if buying from UK on eBay. eBay often does the charge, you have to then file a tax refund request. Might not matter on small items but it does add up.

@gerritv do you mean buying off Ebay dot UK or Ebay dot ca/com? I could see the former being hard baked into checkout fees but there should not even be a line item in NAm?
Reason I ask is I've been meaning to buy some things off Ebay Europe but they seem to do their best to make it an obstacle course. Have you had luck with this? Do you have a separate user account maybe?

Last edited:
I only have one account, it works on all ebay sites. It appears in my experience that the VAT UK thing is based on where the order is shipped from.
There was no direct indication on the ebay or paypal invoice of VAT paid. RDG do say this on their shipping page "Price displayed includes VAT. The final charge may be different depending on the delivery address. Learn more" but following the link eBay then says that you won't be charged VAT if the product is shipped directly out of the UK.

I've had issues with on German site for small model bolts etc who insisted on charging EU VAT even though their tax rules say not to. (they did't get the order) I did't have that issue with my Rocketronics ELS purchase nor with other German and Dutch sites. So it is a mixed bag, requiring some vigilance.

@gerritv Sorry for sidebar questions but this has been something I've wanted to do for some time. When you go to Ebay.de (Germany) are you fluent enough to navigate around & search in German or is there some translation tool you can turn on in the background? Maybe at the browser level using Google translate? Anyways, you are saying I don't need to open a .DE account, I can log in & buy directly using existing .CA account?

Yes, one account.
I use Microsoft Edge, it can be set to auto-translate to English. Or leave it set to offer to translate. For languages such as German and Dutch (IMO sane languages) the translate works well.
I have no experience with all the other wierd browsers around, they don't seem very functional to me. Thay appear geared to restrict functionality and thus usefulness.
1724523536515.webp

I only have one account, it works on all ebay sites. It appears in my experience that the VAT UK thing is based on where the order is shipped from.
There was no direct indication on the ebay or paypal invoice of VAT paid. RDG do say this on their shipping page "Price displayed includes VAT. The final charge may be different depending on the delivery address. Learn more" but following the link eBay then says that you won't be charged VAT if the product is shipped directly out of the UK.

If you actually go to RDG’s site vs eBay then you should have no problems with VAT because their Ecom page uses your ship to address to resolve this. Same with the Myford page.

Back