• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

My used machinery shipping experience

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
So, I had often looked at used machinery posted for sale on line but the logistics / expense and the unknown costs always threw me off.
I had looked for a small Tool and Cutter Grinder for quite awhile. I needed small because I'm in a small workshop. I missed a couple, I was just simply too late. Prices in the East always looked very attractive but how to get it home ? Often wondered about a LTL shipment (less than trailer load). So, a few weeks ago a small cutter grinder with several accessories popped up for what I thought was a very reasonable price (by Calgary standards). So, I asked for a forum volunteer local to the machine to look at it for me (special thanks to Luc Simoneau) - mostly to just confirm that the machine actually existed (not just a picture of a machine). Machine actually existed, ran fine, sounded OK etc. and the seller seemed reasonable but Google said 43.5 hours drive (one way) (almost New Brunswick). Contacted Day and Ross for a quote (no affiliation), they quoted as follows:
1 X 48" x 40" (standard pallet) x 40" high
Total weight: 750 lbs
Private residence pickup surcharge $75
tailgate pickup (no forklift available) $83.68
fuel surcharge, GST etc.
Total to my door $684.82
I paid the seller $250 extra to knock it down (take the upper off the base)(he did have an engine hoist), get it on a pallet and build a crate for it (2x4's and 1/2" plywood all sides and top).
Did an E-Transfer to the seller. Seller had it crated up in a couple days.
D&R required pre-payment (no surprise).
It took D&R 5 days (over a weekend) to pick up the crate (no surprise because it was in a small town, kind of off the beaten path).
7 days later, there's a Day and Ross truck behind my garage - liftgate drop off, battery powered pallet jack, very pleasant driver wheeled it straight into my garage.
So for others that might have wondered about LTL shipping machinery, there's one experience that was positive. The $ worked for me just because I'm in Calgary and there was a big enough difference in Eastern market and Calgary market that I felt I could absorb the freight charges but too far for a "road trip". Good people on the far end made a big difference too Luc was great and the seller was a great guy too.
This worked well for a one pallet shipment, for larger like a lathe or mill, I have no idea. But a positive experience nonetheless and I thought there would be others that had wondered / been tempted like me and would be interested in what it cost. But you've got to do your due diligence to make sure the seller is legitimate.

Bought my 1300 lb DoAll bandsaw remotely. Seller was a rigger so they palletized it and possibly forklifted it into the truck in Milton Ont. Vitran shipped it to a depot in Sidney BC where they forked it into my truck. 461 2021 dollars and Sidney is on an island so that throws the price up a bit.
That was a very good price!

Glad it worked it. I've mentioned it here before, crucial to get a quote on shipping before shipping. If you just call them or take it to the depot, the price can quadruple. I had it happen once like that, they missed that they'd quoted a shipment and invoiced for over 4x the quote. Call them, "no problem, we'll make the adjustment".

Other pricing anecdotes; I recent sold a lathe (months ago) about 1000 lbs strapped to a skid to Vancouver. Buyer reports it was 1000 but that included a lift gate and them bringing it into the building, up a freight elevator and into his studio. About five years ago I also shipped a 1200 pound skid form Northern BC to TO, around $600 irrc. Have a machine somewhere on the Ocean coming from England, $1000.

I agree with the OP, not insignificant sums, but not something to hold you back from getting what you want.

Last edited:
I bought my First milling machine out of Richmond in B.C. and needed to have it shipped. (My trailer at the time was limited to 1800 lbs, about 1/2 the mills weight)

The seller told me he'd arrange reasonable shipping through "X". He then gave me their number and ship it using the quote he secured. (that way I'd be prepaying for shipping instead of him).

After reading the written quote, which only included depot shipping (not good), I had the quote amended for tailgate delivery to my garage, at a whopping 78$ extra. I'll take the win.... So from Richmond to Calgary, with tailgate was 660$, and the delivery guy helped me get it over my garage lip and into the garage...

An amusing thing about this, is after it was in my garage, the delivery guy told me the was very thankful we were able to get it all the way in, because the tailgate was only rated for 2600 lbs, so it would never be able to lift it up again! "Alls well that ends well" - or is that "ignorance is bliss" :eek:

Back