• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool My new pan and box brake

Tool

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The $100 pan and box brake arrived today. Huge thanks to @Crosche for an excellent crate and all-around willingness to help a fellow member.
Super pleased with the brake. Needs a bit of spit and polish but it will do me just fine!
pan and box brake.jpg

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good job man now I'm looking forward to some pictures of your projects made with the brake.

I don't do alot of sheet metal work but really enjoy the bit I do. I'd love to work along side some one that did lots of it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Good job man now I'm looking forward to some pictures of your projects made with the brake.

I don't do alot of sheet metal work but really enjoy the bit I do. I'd love to work along side some one that did lots of it.
Thanks mate, I have to be totally honest... I bought it to make the parts to put the DRO on my Southbend.
But I have wanted one for ages.... right off the bat I need to make a drawer for my welding cart.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Good score!

I use mine quite often, just yesterday made up a small aluminum box for one of my electronics projects.

Suggestions:

Make a couple of drift pins that fit the holes in the cams that adjust the finger spacing. Makes it much easier to operate.

Replace the chinesium cap screws that hold the fingers in place. Gets some nice Grade 5 socket cap screws. The chinesium ones will strip the first time you try to bend anything stronger than cardboard.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Good score!

I use mine quite often, just yesterday made up a small aluminum box for one of my electronics projects.

Suggestions:

Make a couple of drift pins that fit the holes in the cams that adjust the finger spacing. Makes it much easier to operate.

Replace the chinesium cap screws that hold the fingers in place. Gets some nice Grade 5 socket cap screws. The chinesium ones will strip the first time you try to bend anything stronger than cardboard.
Thanks! I'm going to go through it and clean it up. I will replace the cap screws as your experience definitely parallels mine!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Awesome. Sounds like a great community you guys have out west. Reminds me of my bike racing days where you could get anything shipped around the province for nothing or next to nothing as there was always somebody going somewhere, and willing to lend a hand to get a part, or a bike a bit further down the road.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The $100 pan and box brake arrived today. Huge thanks to @Crosche for an excellent crate and all-around willingness to help a fellow member.
Super pleased with the brake. Needs a bit of spit and polish but it will do me just fine!
Nice. Great Score.
I have the 3:1 sheet metal machine. There are times where I'd much rather have the pan and box brake. To be truthful though, I find I nowadays 3D print boxes rather than fab them from sheet metal. Just lazy I guess.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I've been itching for a brake for a while, picked up a $40 6" vise mounted one today just to tide me over for some little boxes...definitely not as nice as this unit you got though!