My New Atlas Lathe Model#10100

I got a little sidetracked but lets take a look at what I got.

The motor on it was spinning backwards so they took it off and spun it around. I already switched the polarity and mounted the motor back on. It's not positioned properly but I'll get that sorted when I build a bench for it.

IMG_2874.jpeg

IMG_2875.jpeg
Broken :(

IMG_2876.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

IMG_2873.jpeg
Moore & Wright 0-6" Micrometer

IMG_2879.jpeg
Mitutoyo 2-12" Inside Micrometer, Helios 0-1" and Central Tool Company 2-3" Micrometers

IMG_2880.jpeg
IMG_2883.jpeg

I got a little sidetracked but lets take a look at what I got.

The motor on it was spinning backwards so they took it off and spun it around. I already switched the polarity and mounted the motor back on. It's not positioned properly but I'll get that sorted when I build a bench for it.

View attachment 40208

View attachment 40205
Broken :(

View attachment 40210

View attachment 40211

View attachment 40209
Moore & Wright 0-6" Micrometer

View attachment 40212
Mitutoyo 2-12" Inside Micrometer, Helios 0-1" and Central Tool Company 2-3" Micrometers

View attachment 40214
View attachment 40215
You done good!:cool:

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a lathe!!!!!
And little bit more than just a lathe...

I just picked it up an I'm just parked around the block. I'll take some pictures once I get home.
Congratulations! Did you get all that stuff with it??

trevj

Ultra Member
Congratulations! Did you get all that stuff with it??
Same question.

Because if you did, you deserve about the highest form of envy on the internet! A resounding "You Suck!" LOL!

Seriously, if that all came for the advertised price, even AFTER the photo-radar tickets and extremely poor mileage getting to it first, it'd be a screaming great deal.

I would suggest seeing if you can find a source locally for some 6061 or 7075 aluminum round bar to play with, in a -T4, or -T6 or higher Temper. The stuff cuts almost as nice as brass (very nice indeed) and is hells cheaper to buy! If you have a Metal Supermarket in the area, their offcuts bin is usually a cheap source!

Honest truth, that is about the nicest condition, and best tooled up Atlas i have seen ever. They are not the baddest-arsed thing to ever cut metal, but if you can learn to make things work (and the learning curve WILL sometimes feel like running into a brick wall at times!) you will never have any problem transferring those skills to another lathe ;later in your progression!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Ya dun good! The milling attachment looks new and is worth more than what you paid for the lot.

As for the broken handle, they are delicate and easily broken. It looks like the cross slide has been repaired so you could copy that repair on the compound handle. Making a new handle gives you the opportunity to personalize the machine, add some bling. lol

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Geez, does it ever NOT?

I mean, I spent a fair bit of time in LA (Lethbridge Alberta for the unkowing) and saw the carnage of injuries from a short pause in the prevailing wind! LOL! All those leaned over people, falling!
Rookies. Those of us born & raised here know how to compensate.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a lathe!!!!!
And little bit more than just a lathe...

I just picked it up an I'm just parked around the block. I'll take some pictures once I get home.
Congrats a lathe is always a good purchase. We need to see some shop made hammers now, and other tools for tools. Fixtures to hold dial indicators on the two axis. Ball turner fixtures. And if you complain about something we will help you spend a lot of money to fix it. :D

Tecnico

(Dave)
Nice score! Now do the seller proud and put all those nice tools he passed on to you to good work and hone your skills. Lots of good pieces will come out of that machine including some light milling with that vertical side.

That’s a really good first setup.

D :cool:

I've been busy tending to my girlfriend and other tasks so I haven't had a chance to actually use the lathe. I've been building some shelves and a bench for my stuff.

I want to properly clean it and oil it before making anything. I have some mineral spirits and some air compressor oil ( from Canadian Tire, says it's iso 68). Is that sufficient for the gears and the ways?

I'll have some more stuff to post soon.
Should I create a new thread that's not under "Member Spotted Deals"?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I've been busy tending to my girlfriend and other tasks so I haven't had a chance to actually use the lathe. I've been building some shelves and a bench for my stuff.

I want to properly clean it and oil it before making anything. I have some mineral spirits and some air compressor oil ( from Canadian Tire, says it's iso 68). Is that sufficient for the gears and the ways?

I'll have some more stuff to post soon.
Should I create a new thread that's not under "Member Spotted Deals"?
There are a couple of versions of the manual for your lathe available on Vintage Machinery:

They include maintenance and lubrication information. Basically, if it is dripping and slinging oil everywhere every time you turn it on, you used almost enough! Personally, I used ISO 32 hydraulic oil on my 618 but I think with the amount of actual running time, just about ANY oil would be good enough.

YMMV,

Craig