• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

My latest build - a stand for my Van Norman boring bar

Gearhead88

Super User
The stand isn't complete yet , I'm on a fixed income and I need to save up to buy more steel , soon .

It is in a state where I can use it , I've bored four cylinders .

Depending on what the vintage of the cylinders I'm boring is , old , new or in between , I use different fixturing that also doubles as torque plates.

I added a stack of old valve springs to the two draw bars that pull the clamping bar up to the table from below , it helps to release the clamping force when you back off the nuts.

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
I've been busy ...... again

I rearranged the shop a bit to make room , bought a Miller Tig / stick welding machine to keep my Mig company .

I need to buy a gas regulator , lease another cylinder , round up some consumables and filler rod before the new to me Tig welder is ready to use.

I spent the morning and most of the afternoon cutting , fitting & Mig welding.

My stand is nearly done , I'm adding a shelf or maybe a drawer or two .

Then , once I buy it , some paint.

IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Nice work on the VanNorman stand !!
Paint always brightens that metal fab.
My brother has a Honda CB750 that will need some engine rework.
Where is your shop ?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Sorry . . . I just saw the bottom line. (Jeff ……… Calgary)

Funny though . . . My brother actually bought the motorcycle when he was out in Calgary in 1988. LOL

Gearhead88

Super User
FA12E75B-DB17-4108-82E9-602D88A3F8CA.jpeg

I figured , since I was making a red paint mess , I should fix up a few other pieces .

One is a valve spring tester I had given to me , the crystal and bezel is missing , I'll be on the search for a suitable replacement .

The other is a generic arbor press made out of chinesium .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
View attachment 21749

I figured , since I was making a red paint mess , I should fix up a few other pieces .

One is a valve spring tester I had given to me , the crystal and bezel is missing , I'll be on the search for a suitable replacement .

The other is a generic arbor press made out of chinesium .

Very nice.

But your shop is a total disaster. Waaaay too neat and tidy. I'd never be able to find anything and would get hives.