My first welder, an ESAB EM 215ic

RickD

Well, I'm jumping in with my first purchase of a welder. I've made my online order and pick it up at a local store tomorrow.
I couldn't quite afford the ESAB EMP 215ic (The "P" stands for multiprocess) but I think I'll be quite happy with a MIG machine.
My next quest is to find some gas cylinders. My son has leased, industrial sized, cylinders at his shop, but I've just contacted a Craigslist vendor regarding some smaller cylinders that look good mobile work.
Of course, I'm also looking at first projects to start. If anyone has suggestions, please share!
I have to build up my skills quickly, so I can build that gate my wife wants, and get out the doghouse for spending money on tools and equipment :~)

JohnnyTK

Do you have a TSC near you as they sell a Q bottle? You have to have a certified cylinder for it to be refilled.

RickD

Do you have a TSC near you as they sell a Q bottle? You have to have a certified cylinder for it to be refilled.
Unfortunately, there are no TSC stores are anywhere near my home in B.C. Looking at the TSC website makes me wish they were nearby.
Fortunately, I just found out my son has a certified cylinder he can lend to me. He recommends against buying cylinders from Craigslist, unless you have enough experience, because there are too many variables affecting whether or not gas suppliers will deal with them.

I found a previous thread about cylinder recertification at https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/recertify-your-bottles.1327/

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Well, I'm jumping in with my first purchase of a welder. I've made my online order and pick it up at a local store tomorrow.
I couldn't quite afford the ESAB EMP 215ic (The "P" stands for multiprocess) but I think I'll be quite happy with a MIG machine.
My next quest is to find some gas cylinders. My son has leased, industrial sized, cylinders at his shop, but I've just contacted a Craigslist vendor regarding some smaller cylinders that look good mobile work.
Of course, I'm also looking at first projects to start. If anyone has suggestions, please share!
I have to build up my skills quickly, so I can build that gate my wife wants, and get out the doghouse for spending money on tools and equipment :~)
Nice choice. I'm more on the fabrication side (welding, bending, punching, etc.) than machining...so gates, railings, trellises, tables, etc., are the things I do too. A gate is a great project, and a MIG makes easy work on 95% of things like that. I tried to find an older article on the Lincoln Electric site from years ago for you, but it must have been taken down. It was from the late 1990s I think. It was about a dentist in the USA who bought a house but wanted a new iron railing on the staircase. He was outraged at the cost so decided to build it himself. He talked to a dealer then decided on a smaller MIG. He sourced the railing parts and a chop saw and saved himself 10s of thousands. I remember the story on the Lincoln site because he talked about how pleased his wife was with the result. I can still recall the pic of this guy with a big smile sitting on the finished staircase next to his welder.

Anyways, welcome aboard. Lots of great help available here.

RickD

Nice choice. I'm more on the fabrication side (welding, bending, punching, etc.) than machining...so gates, railings, trellises, tables, etc., are the things I do too. A gate is a great project, and a MIG makes easy work on 95% of things like that. I tried to find an older article on the Lincoln Electric site from years ago for you, but it must have been taken down. It was from the late 1990s I think. It was about a dentist in the USA who bought a house but wanted a new iron railing on the staircase. He was outraged at the cost so decided to build it himself. He talked to a dealer then decided on a smaller MIG. He sourced the railing parts and a chop saw and saved himself 10s of thousands. I remember the story on the Lincoln site because he talked about how pleased his wife was with the result. I can still recall the pic of this guy with a big smile sitting on the finished staircase next to his welder.

Anyways, welcome aboard. Lots of great help available here.

Thanks for that story, Pete! I’m not surprised a dentist could just pick up tools and get going on a job like that. Come to think of it, many dentists spend much of their day working with tools, drilling, grinding, polishing, etc. They are working materials, often including metal, in miniature—but in high-stakes situations.
One thing nice about working on something at your own home is that you can take your time to do it right- and if something goes a bit wrong you can say "I meant to do that!"

JohnnyTK

Ha now I know how to justify the new welder to the Wife! You know that gate you wanted and I want to have remotely controlled. Well if I just get this one(fully loaded) I can make your gate. LOL Has to have a Boston Terrier in the middle. But first got finish the shop.

RickD

I was able to pick up the ESAB welder late in the day yesterday and spent a couple of hours with it this afternoon. I'm quite pleased with the purchase, not so pleased with my welds yet.
My son tried out the machine and was able to create picture-perfect welds right off the bat. He says it runs very smoothly. My welds weren't nearly as smooth, but after a few tries and a bit of coaching, I was able to lay down some fairly straight beads, although they were a bit grey. Dr. Google tells me that I was overheating things and need to increase my travel speed. I was so excited I forgot to take pictures.
I'll be back at it on Monday and, after working on that travel speed thing, I have my first project in mind. I'll be replacing the wooden blocks and repurposed chair casters that are bolted to the legs of my work table with something more substantial. The current casters are fastened onto pieces of 2 x 2 wood bolted to the angle iron legs.
I think I'll start another thread to ask for advice on how to approach that.

Attachments

• Caster.png
    Caster.png
    721.5 KB · Views: 0

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Welcome aboard Rick. Nice to hear about your progress. Please post your experience with gas cylinders and getting them filled - it's a nightmare around Calgary at least. Makes me want to start a welding / gas cylinder supply shop. KMS tools seems to be the best choice around here but they're not perfect either.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
And hey what is a TSC store? I don't think we have those around here...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

The question always comes up "when are you going to make something useful?"

Make candle holders. End tables. coffee tables. starbucks has interesting coffee tables - welded stuff.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The question always comes up "when are you going to make something useful?"

Make candle holders. End tables. coffee tables. starbucks has interesting coffee tables - welded stuff.

Bird bath stand...…...

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Janger : you guys don't have a TSC stores......holy smokes! you are in the farming capital

From the website:
TSC Stores cater to those who enjoy the country lifestyle. We specialize in products for farm, ranch and country home improvement, working the land, and outdoor hobbies. From automotive to fencing to pet supplies to workwear, TSC offers an incredibly unique selection of products, all under one roof, for those who enjoy a down-to-earth rural lifestyle.

With 49 stores operating in Ontario, TSC Stores is a 100% Canadian owned and operated retailer, which has developed strong roots in Ontario over the past 50 years. When acquired in 2017 by Peavey Industries LP, TSC Stores became part of a family of banners including Peavey Mart and MainStreet Hardware stores, which span across the prairies. Combined, these three banners now make up "Canada's Largest Farm and Ranch Retailer", a distinction we are very proud of.

Maybe you have a Main street Hardware? Gas for welding etc is all at TSC - sometimes not the best prices but you can get O2 on Sunday if they are open :)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think there is a PeavyMart both in High River and one in Strathmore.

thanks for showing the connection between TSC and their other banner stores - did not know that; knew of TSC by growing up in Ontario.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I have two K cylinders for oxygen. One “should” always be full, that way there’s no Sunday panic. If I’m smart enough to swap the empty one out, that is. That’s one of the other benefits to using propane, you can get that almost anywhere, any day of the week