• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Multi-vise Setup

Tips/Techniques
As a few of you have caught on I use my mill for my business and run multiple pieces if possible. To maximize out put the more pieces you can do on one setup the more efficiency you have.

There are drawbacks to this, one is set up of the vises that they are all on the same axis to keep the accuracy.

So here is my solution, a common fixed jaw plate machine in place with a recess to hold the parts. Sliding jaw plates are also machine in place after being locked down so that both recesses match.

1675428841618.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Many of the shops I've been in do that too. But they also add pins or precision machined blocks that attach to the backplate at defined intervals so you can locate both x & y for subsequent operations.

I like the dowel versions because they allow you to have a series of positions you can use for subsequent operations when you have to flip the parts. One shop I saw years ago even had swappable backplates with one pin to located the backplate on the vises and several blocks to locate the parts on each of the plates.

This is one time when prism jaws would be a God send!

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
@Degen,
Do you have the vices that close for a particular job that runs more constant than others or is this your preferred (new) way of milling in vises ?
How do you like that set up ?
What if you have a collision with a tool or holder that tries to push the work piece, push the whole set-up ? Could you catch it in time prior to the next movement before ruining the work pieces if the whole set up moves?
Trying to wrap my mind around the advantages to this type of arrangement.
Thanks

Last edited:
@Degen,
Do you have the vices that close for a particular job that runs more constant than others or is this your preferred (new) way of milling in vises ?
How do you like that set up ?
What if you have a collision with a tool or holder that tries to push the work piece, push the whole set-up ? Could you catch it in time prior to the next movement before ruining the work pieces if the whole set up moves?
Trying to wrap my mind around the advantages to this type of arrangement.
Thanks
They are that close as the total travel in x is only 14".

As to crashes, no I don't do that, knock on wood. I've had two and now have gone to three advantage is I can run up to three parts or have one big wide vise.