• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

MRU laser cutter

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The new Mount Royal library has a maker space with a laser cutter. You take them your files and material, they operate the cutter. So far it’s free! Unfortunately their drop in times are 10-2 weekdays.
I made a couple of trays out of ⅛ ply to help me organize small parts
87F04C54-A224-47B4-88A0-06998C5098BC.jpeg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That’s cool John. Do you mean Mount Royal Univeristy? What else have they got?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That is a good heads up John. Do they provide any details of capability or limitations as in material types & thicknesses?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
About all I know it that it cut ⅛ Baltic birch with no problem. I did see some scraps of ¼ that had pieces cut out of them. The working space is about 24”x48”.
It a trotec unit. I think protospace has a similar one so JohnW might have a better handle on its capabilities?
They do want to see an msds of what they are cutting. Since they’d already been cutting birch, I didn’t need one.