• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Moving a bridgeport 50m across a paved alley/gravel driveway

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good snag! I agree with others. No sense buying something someone else will let you use in return for storage. All a huge bonus. In time you might even find its completely yours. Doesn't sound like he really wanted it.

I'll be watching for your VFD thread. Sounds like a great opportunity for me to learn something. I'm loving the one I bought for my two mills. But I'm sure I have not optimised it yet.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
.... Pull the stone-boat with your truck or car........

Now there is a piece of equipment only a westerner would know about. Stoneboats are virtually unheard of out here in the east.

We used them for everything on my home farm in Saskatchewan. I loved them.

I need to build one for my farm here in Ontario.

Thanks for the memories.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now there is a piece of equipment only a westerner would know about. Stoneboats are virtually unheard of out here in the east.

We used them for everything on my home farm in Saskatchewan. I loved them.

I need to build one for my farm here in Ontario.

Thanks for the memories.

Same here if you could drag it on and had something big enough to pull it it would go. when I was around we never used it much for stones though maybe before my time. My dad was always amazed at how after 30 years of tilling the same land stones would just get dug up and appear but picking stones in that hot sun was a good motivator that I wanted something different for my life now I still have to pick my own "stones" but I get to do it in air conditioning. Lots of good memories of a wonderful time in my life here as well thanks.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
" Stoneboats" isn't a memory I cherish from earlier farming memories. We used one for stones every spring until we purchased a front end loader....still had to hand pick those damn stones but a t least we could dump them at field edges. if you have stones on your property now you will have some forever more, frost in the ground pushes them up every winter so a new "crop" is there for you every spring.

The biggest use we had for a stone boat was in the summer haying season, drug it behind the baler for weeks every summe (and someone had to ride it every minute...pick me) to build 10 bale stooks (80 lbs per bale)...many thousands of them a year......a stone boat just was work every time it came into play.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
" Stoneboats" isn't a memory I cherish from earlier farming memories. We used one for stones every spring until we purchased a front end loader....still had to hand pick those damn stones but a t least we could dump them at field edges. if you have stones on your property now you will have some forever more, frost in the ground pushes them up every winter so a new "crop" is there for you every spring.

The biggest use we had for a stone boat was in the summer haying season, drug it behind the baler for weeks every summe (and someone had to ride it every minute...pick me) to build 10 bale stooks (80 lbs per bale)...many thousands of them a year......a stone boat just was work every time it came into play.

When I was a teenager (13 through 18) my dad put me on the train back to the home farm for the summer. I was the oldest grandchild in my grandpa's Clan. Now I am the oldest living male as my mom is still with us. That makes me the family Patriarch now. I should be proud, but somehow the loss of all those before me, and especially my own dad and my favorite uncle who taught me to shoot brings sadness and loss to the moment. Anyway, I digress.

Frankly, I miss pushing those stooks off the back of the stoneboat. But I don't miss the stone picking we did in the summer fallow. Why not? Cuz I pick 100x more right now on my own farm here in the east. My farm straddles the old glacial moraine that runs along the north shore of Lake Erie. My soil is called "gravel" for a reason.... Sometimes when people ask me what I grow, I answer "ROCKS". And we do! Thousands of them. Year after year after year.

I used to pick them with my loader tractor. It worked great. But it was still a pain getting up and down from the seat. Then I got a 4x4 ATV with a dump box. No more up and down. Just slide out, grab, and slide in. Best rock picking machine ever!

My wife and I (me in my mid 70s and her in her late 60s) pick rocks from spring after the ground thaws till it freezes again in late fall. It is fantastic exercise. Keeps us both young and healthy - which is one of the reasons why we bought a farm after I retired. My wife calls it "Squatts with Rocks". She says it beats the crap out of those fancy health gymns.

I have always been a big guy. Both tall and strong. But picking rocks, working on heavy machinery, and long farm walks all year long has been wonderful!

Please forgive a short story to illustrate. I was at a seed seminar the summer before Covid. This 30 something year old guy was having some fun with me - said farming was too hard for old guys like me. Another middle aged fellow spoke up and told the young guy to have more respect - that old man would probably whoop your butt. Peels of laughter from the gathered group. Then another fellow suggested arm wrestling. Normally, I would have politely declined but wtf - I was so much older it didn't really matter if I lost. No harm in that. Besides, it would be fun. I have not arm wrestled anyone in probably 30 years! I'm sure you already know what happened. It was over almost as soon as it began. I made a friend of that young fellow that day. He drops around every so often to talk farming. Even helped me pick rocks one day.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Jeeez all this talk of the good old days with rocks and square bales makes my back hurt. Rock pickers and large round bales were invented way to late in my life.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
A farmer back home in SK would hire 12 kids @ $4/hour/each to walk 3 feet apart w/ 5-gallon pails. The tractor/picker ran ahead of this line. When your pail was full, dump it in..... learned on the first day that rubber boots in 30 degree heat was a BAD idea. Good cash for a 10 year-old back in the day. Pepsi and a Revel @ the local Gulf service station at the end of the day.... good times (haha)

I never took well to throwing bales..... didn't have the frame for it.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
A farmer back home in SK would hire 12 kids @ $4/hour/each to walk 3 feet apart w/ 5-gallon pails. The tractor/picker ran ahead of this line. When your pail was full, dump it in..... learned on the first day that rubber boots in 30 degree heat was a BAD idea. Good cash for a 10 year-old back in the day. Pepsi and a Revel @ the local Gulf service station at the end of the day.... good times (haha)

I never took well to throwing bales..... didn't have the frame for it.
I liked throwing small bales. The faster you worked gave you some downtime between wagons. I liked working in the mow, those were good days

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I liked throwing small bales. The faster you worked gave you some downtime between wagons. I liked working in the mow, those were good days

Me and my cousin's did the same we unloaded and stacked thrown bales from a wagon I liked unloading and putting them on the bale elevator I would tug out all the bottom bales like a real life jenga game then tug that one bale down and have it all crash down, great fun. Usually only enough time for some water and few minutes rest in between, always hoping for a breakdown so we could goof off or head into down.