• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Mounting back gears on the Atlas TH 54

Spin Master

Is there anyone who knows the proper way to mount the back gears on the TH 54 Atlas Lathe?....I'm building a bench and the back gears being a separate component has an ambiguous position, in relationship to the Lathe. Any constructive response is greatly appreciated, I'm new here, and thank you.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I believe you are referring to the countershaft assembly. The back gears are integral to the headstock. Anyway, a 1947 Atlas publication specifies that the countershaft should be 1.5 inches back from the bed. See attached. However, the position would depend on the length of belt installed around the spindle. If you have a longer belt, obviously the countershaft would have to be further back to get proper belt tension.

Craig
(I think I got this document from Vintage Machinery but I can't remember for sure now.)

Attachments

• Atlas 10 - Bed - Countershaft - Motor Mounting Instructions.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
It sounds like Craig has nailed it on the advice, so I will side with Susquatch..... welcome from the heat of Lillooet BC.
Once you get a few more posts under your belt, you can start posting pictures, like most little kids, we like pictures here, almost as much as spending each other's money. ;)