• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Machine Mounting an AXA tool holder on a lathe with a high compound slide.

Machine

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
When I sold my old combination lathe and bought a new lathe I kept the AXA tool post and tooling to put on the new machine. After getting it mounted up I found the the compound was a little too high even when the tool holders were at the very bottom of the travel. The largest I could use in these holders were 3/8" cutting tools in a tool holder that was made for 1/2", otherwise the tools were too high. Having a lot of 1/2 " tooling and wanting to use them to keep things more rigid I had to figure out how to lower the AXA holders. My solution was to put them in the mill and take off between .070 and .095 from the bottoms of some of the holders I had. The tool holders are quite hard so I used an insert type mill with carbide inserts. It complained a bit but got the job done.

Attachments

• Tool holder bottom.jpg
    Tool holder bottom.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 19
Back