• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Motor hub?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm trying to match a hub to a motor shaft, ideally by using something that exists so I further machine it. Other than the 14mm shaft bore & 5mm keyway slot, the remaining dimensions are just approximate. Really the only thing I'm not set up for is the keyway slotting. Maybe I'm not using the right term. I see al kinds of couplings but nothing like this. Any ideas?

1718258068241.png

I think that you might find something at princess auto designed to have a sprocket welded to it.
The keyway can be put in with the lathe by running the carriage back and forth while feeding in the cross slide a thou or two with each pass. They can also be put in on the mill by using the quill as a slotting attachment and in feeding again very slowly with the table. I wouldn't want a steady diet of either method, but I have used both with great success.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Like 140mower suggested, PA has different hubs that i have machined for various uses. Never used my mill as a slotting tool but have used the lathe to make a few keyways, slow but steady gets the job done.

Aliva

Super User
Check these guys out

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Any ideas?

As others have suggested, you can broach with a lathe, or a mill, or a shaper. But surely you know someone in Calgary who has a broach set.

If not, a single broach and collar might be easier on your patience and sanity than trying to find the right pre-made part or making it in some awkward way. Broaches for this purpose work and work well.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for replies. Looks like 'flange hub' comes close to ID + key criteria.

1718324692694.png

Other prospects but no key slot. I'm not even sure I need a key for intended power & application.
I really need to advance my powered key making project (#729) up the priority list
1718324986071.png

1718324764949.png

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
This photo is of the home made guide with a diameter of about 13.97mm and the broach is the 4mm one. I also have the 5mm broach. The guides are pretty easy to make. Turn it on a lathe. Cut a slot with an end mill with the part held in a 5C collet holder. Then part it off and chamfer the edges even with just a file. I use my 3T arbor press but mostly aluminum pulleys.

I don't remember what I paid for the broaches but even at the time I thought they were a good investment.

1718345032359.png

BaitMaster

Super User
This photo is of the home made guide with a diameter of about 13.97mm and the broach is the 4mm one. I also have the 5mm broach. The guides are pretty easy to make. Turn it on a lathe. Cut a slot with an end mill with the part held in a 5C collet holder. Then part it off and chamfer the edges even with just a file. I use my 3T arbor press but mostly aluminum pulleys.

I don't remember what I paid for the broaches but even at the time I thought they were a good investment.

View attachment 48739
I did this project as well, but my shaft was 11mm. Keyway was 4mm.

I bought the broach and shim for like 40$ off of Amazon?

I made the guide out of a piece of scrap oilfield sucker rod. Cut the slot with a 1/4” end mill in a collet block. Turned down on my lathe.

Used my 20t hydraulic press to broach. Very very carefully.

I think if you get the broach @PeterT the rest should be easy enough. They are cheap on Amazon for a one off.

Attachments

• 734838BF-2253-47C9-8391-EEC904855BB3.jpeg
    734838BF-2253-47C9-8391-EEC904855BB3.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8148735B-19EB-4082-BFE1-A32080206A2E.jpeg
    8148735B-19EB-4082-BFE1-A32080206A2E.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 130B17F6-C4A0-4871-8507-0C5C3FA9D383.jpeg
    130B17F6-C4A0-4871-8507-0C5C3FA9D383.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup. And then then there is also that blue thing in the background also missing in my shop Haha. I know guys where a press is like the #3 tool they buy, maybe because more machinery focused hobby, pressing bearings & gears on & off or whatever. Thus far I've dodged the bullet. I'm no expert but until less expensive offshore broaches & presses came along, broaching was kind of an expensive operation. But it does deliver clean, consistent results. I've seen all kinds of alternative shop made methods & accessories. Some are simple & just take more time, others are more sophisticated including powered. I figured for the odd model gear I'll have to do, or softer material hubs like this example, I could go that route when the time comes. Looks like that time is arriving on a few fronts. Many ways to skin the cat I suppose. But it would be desirable to keep the operation off the lathe & mill for repeated or especially heavier jobs.

1718553187220.png

BaitMaster

Super User

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Check these guys out
FWI . . .

Martin Sprocket has a Warehouse / Engineering site at near Kitchener.

Cambridge, Ontario​

320 Darrell Drive RR1
Ayr, ON N0B 1E0
Phone 519-621-0546
After Hours Phone
Fax 519-621-4413

djberta

Premium Member

130$ for a 12t……

The press definitely comes in handy.

So many things you can do with one. Get a brake, make different adaptors, cutters, etc. use hex keys as broaches to make Allen key bolts…..

Use it for clamping, holding….. straighten long bars, or bend them……

All of this without wearing out the precious lathe and mill.
I have this exact press, I think i got mine 15 or more years ago. I use it mostly for bearings. But I have used it for other things. Very handy.

As for the keyway. I have used both my mill and my lathe to make keyways and both are doable but so painful. If you have the money buy the set of broaches from accusize and use the forum discount, every dollar counts. You won't be sorry. The broaches will do the job in like 20 minutes.

On my lathe I tried the ytube method of using a cut off in the tool holder and moved it pack and forth to cut out the key way. It took a lot of work to do it. On my mill again on the ytube idea I tried to mill the slot and then file it. Both did work but again took a lot of time and effort. These two times I did this took entire afternoons.