“Motivated seller” mcgregor lathe

trevj

Ultra Member
"NOT very motivated seller, would like to be clear of an antique Lathe he does not understand!"

tourmax

Sadly, that old soldier will probably end up scrapped. Not a lot of hoe machinists have the space or time to deal with a lathe that big or old. I see them all the time on kijiji here sitting in a field or back lot in the pics, going cheap and rusting away just waiting for the grim reaper to haul it away....

Sadly, that old soldier will probably end up scrapped. Not a lot of hoe machinists have the space or time to deal with a lathe that big or old. I see them all the time on kijiji here sitting in a field or back lot in the pics, going cheap and rusting away just waiting for the grim reaper to haul it away....
You’re probably correct.

He actually said he’d give it away to someone that would use it.

Too bad. But like you said. Lots of old iron out there rusting away.
Come to think of it the city should take it. Galt has old equipment in various spots throughout town. Presses and surface
Grinders. Etc

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So what would this lathe weight? Maybe 2500lbs? Does not look super sturdy or super heavily build. So Scrap at 12c to lbs is maybe 250 CAD after expense of getting it to the scrap yard. And I would ask before driving there.

So if he is so motivated why price of $1500 - that is 6x the scrap value.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It is sad; the bed looks very good (at the low use tailstock end, *sigh*). Too bad. It is unlikely this old lady is going to get rescued.

So what would this lathe weight? Maybe 2500lbs? Does not look super sturdy or super heavily build. So Scrap at 12c to lbs is maybe 250 CAD after expense of getting it to the scrap yard. And I would ask before driving there.

So if he is so motivated why price of $1500 - that is 6x the scrap value.

Hopeful for someone to be foolish enough??

I messaged him and he said he’d give it away to keep it from getting scrapped. Put it up for 500 and someone might jump on it.

I didn’t think anyone here would have use/room for it but thought I’d help put it out on the grape vine.