Mori Seiki Metal Lathe C$11,000

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I saw this lathe when I went to look at the Holtzapffel lathe in another ad. It is pristine as in almost new. It belonged to a toolmaker turned luthier, Ted Thompson, who recently passed away. He built musical instruments for 30+ years. His wife is also internationally known for her art.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Coldstream, BC

408068955_6857014861042879_2281897325693751466_n.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey if I bought that would I become as good a machinist as Ca Lem?

I have no idea who CaLem is. So you are already better in my books.

IMHO, if he is one of those YouTube Stars, then you are definitely already better.

If he wrote a book and got it published, then you are dead.

If he had an article published, then you have a small chance, but not a big one.

One man's opinion.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have no idea who CaLem is. So you are already better in my books.

IMHO, if he is one of those YouTube Stars, then you are definitely already better.

If he wrote a book and got it published, then you are dead.

If he had an article published, then you have a small chance, but not a big one.

One man's opinion.
Ca Lem is from Vietnam and is one of the most talented and ambitious machinists I have seen.
It would be worth your time to watch him and not just write him off as yet another shill.
Anyone who makes a 6-jaw chuck from scratch has my respect.
Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 12-08-01 Cà Lem.png

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ca Lem is from Vietnam and is one of the most talented and ambitious machinists I have seen.
It would be worth your time to watch him and not just write him off as yet another shill.
Anyone who makes a 6-jaw chuck from scratch has my respect.
View attachment 41884

Yup, that a tall order. 6 jaw no less!

You should make one! I'll pass. LOL!

I'd like to watch the video(s). But your link is just a photo, not the video. Can you post a link?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok @David_R8, I'm impressed. Really impressed. Especially when I saw that he did that chuck as an entry into a competition not to promote his channel or drag in viewers.

I like the nice balance of fast forward and regular speed. I would have liked a little voice over but I'm guessing there is a language barrier there.

I watched the whole thing end to end and learned a few things in the process - that's really my personal bar for a good video - does it answer the viewers questions and does it teach us something useful.

Ya, I'll watch a few more starting with the vise build that @Darren recommends.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok @David_R8, I'm impressed. Really impressed. Especially when I saw that he did that chuck as an entry into a competition not to promote his channel or drag in viewers.

I like the nice balance of fast forward and regular speed. I would have liked a little voice over but I'm guessing there is a language barrier there.

I watched the whole thing end to end and learned a few things in the process - that's really my personal bar for a good video - does it answer the viewers questions and does it teach us something useful.

Ya, I'll watch a few more starting with the vise build that @Darren recommends.
I’m happy that you gained from watching.
I feel very sad when these folks who do such amazing work and exhibit profound humility are struck by illness.
Matty’s Workshop is another fellow that I have a lot of respect for. Also enduring some major health problems.