• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

More GovDeals in Welland, ON

trlvn

Ultra Member
You can have your choice of colours!

6765_39_1-1.jpg

6765_42_1-1.jpg

6765_40_1-1.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah I setup alert for AB few months ago and still no hits!

Maybe it would be profitable to buy small machines in ON and bring them to AB? Its about a week drive both ways but its almost $2000 in fuel so it would had to be like 5 or 6 machines with at least $1000 profit on each.

Don't move to ON - where there is work property prices are 2x AB you may get machines cheap but nowhere to store them.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hmmm well for the price of the gas probably just get them shipped? Need a knowledgeable person to facilitate - an agent - that sounds like a good thing to do for extra money - any Ontario members?

trlvn

Ultra Member
Hmmm well for the price of the gas probably just get them shipped? Need a knowledgeable person to facilitate - an agent - that sounds like a good thing to do for extra money - any Ontario members?
If you want to buy the machine and arrange the freight, I'll go supervise the pickup. First one is free--after that I'd have to think about it.

Craig

historicalarms

Ultra Member
If I was younger and in better health...and I'm just thinking out loud here...I would consider buying a couple of those "matching" $500 machines, cutting the bed off one of them at the headstock and trying to "extend" the bed of the complete machine. with some "tapered pin & alignment magic" and a purchased longer feed screw a "passable " 40" bed machine with an excellent headstock mechanism might be possible.

Kind'a one of those "just to see if it could be done" things that usually end up being a real cluster f before their done.

trlvn

Ultra Member
So, who's got the high bid on these machines? I see the leading bid ranges from $600 to $930 on the lathes. They all close tomorrow starting at 3:00 ET.

Craig

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Sale ends in more then 24h so prices will go up. Its not worth for anyone from AB to just buy 1 or 2 machines. We would need to go and buy most of the whole lot and sell on auction the stuff we don't want. I didn't upgrade my trailer yet - maybe next sale I go for it. May as well upgrade the truck to diesel one and trailer to 18000 lbs - at least no one will be saying I am only using it to drive air around.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Just for interest, the final price incl. tax etc on the lathes were as follows:

The first seven were Standard Modern Series 2000, 11 swing -
1 $1,341
2 $1,673
3 $1,424
4 $1,448
5 $902
6 $1,187
7 $1,258

The last was a Harrison L6 with DRO(?)
8 $2,148

I couldn't see anything different between the highest and lowest priced of the 7 Standard Modern lathes aside from paint colour. Well, except that there was no chuck key or live centre apparent with the highest priced machine! Huh?

BTW, govdeals obfuscates the bidder's id but it appears that several of the machines were bought by 2 bidders. I assume they'll soon be available at a used machinery dealer somewhere.

Craig

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Thanks for listing the prices.

That is much cheaper then AB but still touch too expensive to have it shipped to AB. I don't think you can get a refund for that huge ON tax when you move stuff out of ON (god I don't miss that monstrosity).

I would expect that lathes to sell for around $2000 here in AB and the Harrison for up to $3000.

If its dealers then they will have these machines for a very long time - I doubt anyone in ON will pay $2000 for each of these plus tax in order for them to make some profit. Maybe private party - still low margins.

It would make sense to move it to AB if the sale prices were around $1000.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Good luck selling for profit in ON. He should replace the motor on it to 1hp single phase and try again for $1800.

I like "Has had regular maintenance" - as if he knows it did.

If he got the one for under $1000 through he may make some good $ on it.

Its much harder to do this buy and resell thing then people think with large machines. You have to move large stuff, you have to unload large stuff, load it. A lot of work and small market.

There is a guy in AB that beat me to a great deal on mini-lathe - old Busy Bee model 7x8 (what is advertised all over the world as 7x10). He got it with some extra tooling for just $250. Guy listed it at whopping $2000. Then at $1000 firm. Now he is down to $800 firm. He certainly will make some money given the $250 purchase but far less then he hoped for. And he is doing all the work placing adds.

TheLocalDrunk

I got access to a decent size tandem flat deck...... (No interest in doing the drive though)
And a warehouse for temp storage......
Just sayin'

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
How big is your tandem flat deck? I have access to 1ton truck but with gas engine not diesel - thus its limited to towing max around 14000 lbs.
Good to know you have these things.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
How big is your tandem flat deck? I have access to 1ton truck but with gas engine not diesel - thus its limited to towing max around 14000 lbs.
I usually pull a 53’ deck, step or flat, good for 45,000 pounds. More if it’s a triaxle

Think of all the goodies you could fit on that....

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm curious why the chucks have uniform coating of rust & yet all the other steel/CI parts seem to survive with a regular finish for the age. Whats up with that?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I'm curious why the chucks have uniform coating of rust & yet all the other steel/CI parts seem to survive with a regular finish for the age. Whats up with that?

Chucks are made from different steel / cast combination and may have been exposed to some coolant. Plus they are usually not coated with oil in the same way as say lathe ways. Thus they are exposed metal parts not covered with oil that can be exposed to some water based agents and have zero rubbing that can keep them shiny.

A theory.

TheLocalDrunk

I THINK it is an 18' deck
Cant recall the weight limit on it though.
Think it is build to haul bobcats or a car around