ML7 Questions

Cryoine

so i have two Ml7s or i suspect that i have two, the first one which is ultra dirty I have matched the serial number so i know when it was made image_2023-05-02_135216877.png
this was the machine at the machine shop link to the project https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/ml7-lathe.7514/

the plan is to use the two to make one functional lathe then rebuild the second one then do a full restoration on them both alternating when they get a bit of down time
image_2023-05-02_135434801.png
can anyone tell me anything about the configuration of the second machine it seems to have the same size lead screw but has the quick change gearbox in addition to an additional lever up near the belt tensioning lever which I suspect is some sorta clutch, the top tensioning bracket has also been broken this lathe was dropped when they were moving it, its still at the machine shop so I don't know the serial number just yet.

image_2023-05-02_135443526.png

Attachments

• image_2023-05-02_135456957.png
    image_2023-05-02_135456957.png
    772.8 KB · Views: 3

Xyphota

Ultra Member
That is indeed a clutch assembly on that second lathe. The manual has some decent exploded views for clutch and non-clutch versions, as well as the gearbox and non-gearbox lathes. That second lathe also has a hand wheel on the end of the lead screw that can be used to manually turn the screw and give you finer carriage control.

Those are some sad looking lathes, I wish you all the luck for breathing some life back into them. Myford supposedly has some spares for some parts that aren't listed on their website so you should keep that in mind too.

Cryoine

That is indeed a clutch assembly on that second lathe. The manual has some decent exploded views for clutch and non-clutch versions, as well as the gearbox and non-gearbox lathes. That second lathe also has a hand wheel on the end of the lead screw that can be used to manually turn the screw and give you finer carriage control.

Those are some sad looking lathes, I wish you all the luck for breathing some life back into them. Myford supposedly has some spares for some parts that aren't listed on their website so you should keep that in mind too.
thanks I would have completely missed that, honestly I was looking what i could salvage off this machine for the other one since I cleaned it up and it cleaned up REALLY well(dont have pics yet and i need to upload that other post), bed isn't worn at all but the hand wheel bushings worn all the way though the machine is a victim of grease. but the more I was looking at the photos the more I realized how nicely configured it was overall, additionally it the machine shop owner said they do have the metal cabinet that came with it still so ill get that when I decide to move it

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The one with the gear box is worth 2x as much as they one without - gear box alone is worth roughly same as a lathe without gear box.

So if you want to keep the one without gear box I suggest you move the gear box.

Cryoine

The one with the gear box is worth 2x as much as they one without - gear box alone is worth roughly same as a lathe without gear box.

So if you want to keep the one without gear box I suggest you move the gear box.
no i own them both, but the one without the gearbox is closer to being started than the one with the gearbox, the one with the gearbox was dropped and the tensioner bracket was broken so that will either have to be replaced or welded so the plan was to fix them both back up in the long run. In the mean time i would use parts off of the gearbox lathe to get the other one in running condition then i could build up the parts for the gearbox one (restoration) then when that one is complete i could pull the other one down for restoration because right now i just cleaned it up.

right now I have two oilers on the way for it, they both will need oilers and bushings.

Attachments

• image_2023-05-02_181958149.png
    image_2023-05-02_181958149.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
  • image_2023-05-02_182027713.png
    image_2023-05-02_182027713.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 15

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I could be mistaken, but I don’t think the bed castings are specific to the gear box so I think you should be able to take the gearbox to the undamaged lathe.

Cryoine

I could be mistaken, but I don’t think the bed castings are specific to the gear box so I think you should be able to take the gearbox to the undamaged lathe.
I think they might be gearbox specific, i have noted on some lathes there are two additional holes right below the headstock that in my case aren't being used. I can assume that both the lathes have these holes since one has the gearbox and the other has those holes. there is a series on YouTube with a new Zealander that has one, his lathe does not have those holes

trevj

Ultra Member
Y'know, as a metalworker, you can choose to drill and tap a hole when and where you need it, you are not limited in any way to relying upon ONLY what the factory provided! (though I suspect they provided the dimensions for drilling those hole if they were needed and not there).

Wash both machines down in a large tub of solvent. Wear gloves, and a face mask, and have a time! My bet is that with the grunge scrubbed off, both of them will look a thousand percent better. Oil everything that can or might move, before running under power. I used 20 or 30 weight oil when I had my ML7. Lots. Everywhere. Often.
Look for the oil nipples and pull them off, add oil behind them, and close them back up again, if you do not have the oil gun needed (looks like a mini grease gun). Those will be, by memory, on the back gear assy.

Both the Clutch and the gearbox were available after the original purchase, as factory accessories. Some guys bought the whole works up front, others built on what they could afford, when they could.

Broken parts are easy. Cast Aluminum welds very easily, cast iron can be brazed, silver soldered, or welded with high nickel rods. Paint hides all sins! :)

IIRC, two clutch types were available. One used a moped Brake Shoe for the action, the other used a cone type clutch, in a cast iron pulley.

Cryoine

Y'know, as a metalworker, you can choose to drill and tap a hole when and where you need it, you are not limited in any way to relying upon ONLY what the factory provided! (though I suspect they provided the dimensions for drilling those hole if they were needed and not there).

Wash both machines down in a large tub of solvent. Wear gloves, and a face mask, and have a time! My bet is that with the grunge scrubbed off, both of them will look a thousand percent better. Oil everything that can or might move, before running under power. I used 20 or 30 weight oil when I had my ML7. Lots. Everywhere. Often.
Look for the oil nipples and pull them off, add oil behind them, and close them back up again, if you do not have the oil gun needed (looks like a mini grease gun). Those will be, by memory, on the back gear assy.

Both the Clutch and the gearbox were available after the original purchase, as factory accessories. Some guys bought the whole works up front, others built on what they could afford, when they could.

Broken parts are easy. Cast Aluminum welds very easily, cast iron can be brazed, silver soldered, or welded with high nickel rods. Paint hides all sins! :)

IIRC, two clutch types were available. One used a moped Brake Shoe for the action, the other used a cone type clutch, in a cast iron pulley.
Its funny u should say that but I had a look at the other lathe today and the arm wasnt brojen, its two if the 3 bolts that hold it on sheared so its a simple drill and retap operation I'm moving it this week lol. I left it at the machine shop still because I thought welding needed to be done. Now the owner has regrets lol

trevj

Ultra Member
Its funny u should say that but I had a look at the other lathe today and the arm wasnt brojen, its two if the 3 bolts that hold it on sheared so its a simple drill and retap operation I'm moving it this week lol. I left it at the machine shop still because I thought welding needed to be done. Now the owner has regrets lol
As dirty as those two lathes are, i suspect there is some pretty good use to be got out of them, with a little care and attention!

As a Die-Hard fan, of shopping at the bottom, or below, the low end of the spectrum, and gaining value with brains, work, and thought, I'd be pretty hard pressed to pass on those, if they were waved under my nose for cheap enough.

Cryoine

As dirty as those two lathes are, i suspect there is some pretty good use to be got out of them, with a little care and attention!

As a Die-Hard fan, of shopping at the bottom, or below, the low end of the spectrum, and gaining value with brains, work, and thought, I'd be pretty hard pressed to pass on those, if they were waved under my nose for cheap enough.
Not to worry lol, I picked up both of them and some other machine tools, including a surface grinder, old ass milling machine 2 other lathes and a pedestal grinder

Cryoine

In for a penny, in for a pound...... Well done!:cool:
the machine shop owner recently asked me if I'm willing to sell back the lathe(with the gearbox) to him...NOPE but I'm on the trail of more myfords, I heard about a guy that has a few that AREN'T for sale ill let him know that I plan on restoring them and see if he changes his tune