• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

mini v block fixture

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nothing special - a rainy day project using up some scrap HRS. I needed a fixture with a few features that made using regular V-blocks less suitable. I need to hold round stock & machine different areas down the length, hence the series of hold-down clamp positions so I can keep the stock locked down & change clamps. I find those U-clamps on standard V blocks either in the way of the quill, or not holding securely during machining. I also need to orientate this jig in the mill vise at a specific angle top view (not shown but plan on using some matching front & rear angle blocks).

It turned out not bad I guess. A surface grinder would come in handy right about now :) I'm going to blacken it just for rust protection. The V-groove was a learning experience. I set the rectangular blank up in a standard V block & used an end mill distanced off an edge for centering. As you can see, the side mill side finished nicer than the bottom mill side. So next time I should either flip it to do both sides the same? I might actually make me a series of say 3 blocks with different V groove depths so I'm equipped to hold any progressive diameter like 2mm 5mm 10mm etc. Anyway, hopefully one of those homebrew tools you cant find in catalogs.

Attachments

• IMG_0853_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0853_edited-1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0852_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0852_edited-1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0851_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0851_edited-1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0850_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0850_edited-1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 19

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just saw a better 'multi-V' example on another forum. It was say 1.5" square section by ~ 2" long. Each face had a different V cut (depth) and common hole pattern. So one block would handle the whole small to large diameter range vs. a series of blocks. I think I like that more. That's the problem with scrap box material sourcing, it tends to restrict your ideas at the onset to what you have at hand. I really wish I could find a supplier of small / inexpensive cast iron blocks. It would be perfect for stuff like this. Any ideas? I can find smallish sizes in US but shipping is always the killer.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I read somewhere that encore metals carries dura bar. I don't know if they will supply smallish pieces at smallish prices.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi John. I'm 99% sure that's the place I called about Durabar (rod).. maybe couple years ago now.... Anyway, I think they are a typical 'big stick' distributer.
Did you ever find the chunk you were looking for?