• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Mini Lathe chuck

Is there no way to reverse the clamps on a 3" chuck ? I've tried so i could get something bigger in the chuck, but it don't seem to work. Am i missing something ?

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What isn't working? they should flip and screw in you have to make sure the orientation is correct eg the offset of when they engage the thread, so they align, line up the jaws together and then you can see the offsets and get the correct order.

gerritv

Gerrit
Only by having the elusive other set of jaws. Most used lathes and chucks come only with what is in the chuck. Mostly due to the original owner not taking care to keep relevant tools near the lathe in the first place.
If buying a replacement chuck, get one with detachable jaws. A bit more money upfront but more usable over time.

Gerrit

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Am i missing something ?
I believe you are: the “inside” jaws and the “outside” jaws on a solid jaw 3J scroll chuck are different. So you need to take the inside jaws out replace them with your outside ones if you want to hold larger stock.

Here is a picture for comparison.
1641225864915.jpeg

it’s actually on the underside where the teeth engage the scroll where the biggest difference lies and why you can’t just take the one set and flip it 180* and hope that it will engage the scroll going in backwards -> it is physically impossible (as you have discovered).

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
You posted mini lathe so I’m guessing 3”-4” chuck? They come with 2 sets of jaws in the box but as mentioned above, to many people loose track of certain parts .... or prior owner messed up and damaged/discarded them. Some chucks do have “reversible” jaws but not common outside of sherline mini lathes

You posted mini lathe so I’m guessing 3”-4” chuck? They come with 2 sets of jaws in the box but as mentioned above, to many people loose track of certain parts .... or prior owner messed up and damaged/discarded them. Some chucks do have “reversible” jaws but not common outside of sherline mini lathes
Yeah, i thought of them after i posted this. Lol sorry

I believe you are: the “inside” jaws and the “outside” jaws on a solid jaw 3J scroll chuck are different. So you need to take the inside jaws out replace them with your outside ones if you want to hold larger stock.

Here is a picture for comparison.
View attachment 19419

it’s actually on the underside where the teeth engage the scroll where the biggest difference lies and why you can’t just take the one set and flip it 180* and hope that it will engage the scroll going in backwards -> it is physically impossible (as you have discovered).
Thanks man, i had forgot that the Lathe came with 2 sets of jaws lol