• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Milling vise handle size poll

Your mill vise key size

• 3/4" Hex (i.e. Kurt & Clones) (19mm)

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • 15mm Hex

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 12mm square

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3/4” square

• 15mm square

• 1/2" Hex

• 12mm hex

• 10mm square

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 16mm square

• Total voters

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Giving @a smile some more support. His lathe index key can also be used for milling vises through the use of a sleeve that slips on over the key. He would like to know what sizes would be useful? I've put down a couple choices - if yours isn't listed please reply to the thread with the size and I will add it to the poll.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
His lathe index key can also be used for milling vises through the use of a sleeve that slips on over the key.

Mine are ALL 3/4" - some square and some hex. I keep a ratchet combination wrench always handy by the mill. It fits my drawbar too.

So is this sleeve the reason for the threaded hole on the shank? If not, what is it for?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Mine are ALL 3/4" - some square and some hex. I keep a ratchet combination wrench always handy by the mill. It fits my drawbar too.

So is this sleeve the reason for the threaded hole on the shank? If not, what is it for?
I wondered about that hole too.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I’ve polled as 12mm, but weird-ass BB Groz vise is actually 0.450 across flats. I use a speed handle with a 1/2” deep hex socket, a bit slopppy but works well

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Sun actually answered this already - it is for a ball spring plunger and yes to keep the sleeve on.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I put the additional choices in the poll - if anyone who did not have a choice on the poll could you please go back and vote? Thank you!

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmm just checked my vise, the wrench is .61" square or in laymans terms 15.5mm. the closest poll option was 15mm.