$5000
4162ebfb-a4aa-476e-9214-4439cf0224a1

$3850
0f992da7-90e1-4c15-a316-91bd0057c71c

$4500
a181b867-94d2-40a7-9073-b794161fcb78

Last edited:
I wonder how much he's charging for the new paint.....:rolleyes:
They all look fresh and clean, but too cheap to have been rebuilt, I wonder if they have any before pictures so one can assess how they might have been looked after.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I wonder how much he's charging for the new paint.....:rolleyes:
They all look fresh and clean, but too cheap to have been rebuilt, I wonder if they have any before pictures so one can assess how they might have been looked after.

Well, he says can be inspected under power - note the $5000 machine - https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1623377989 even if in half decent shape is way, way, way better then that $6000 machine. Not only $1000 cheaper but it is heavy 40 taper model that has a combo horizontal spindle as well as DRO and power feeds.

There is no need for before and after pictures - we do not machine on paint. A freshly looking machine may be crap and machine with 90% paint gone may be as good as new in every respect.

MashingMetal

A few cans of rattle paint, I can make my mill look like #4, same vintage of mid 1980’s clone. I paid $250….. Shhhh don’t tell my wife or she will be saying sell.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
A few cans of rattle paint, I can make my mill look like #4, same vintage of mid 1980’s clone. I paid $250….. Shhhh don’t tell my wife or she will be saying sell.

Yes, but how does it machine?! Presentation is nice. But even nicer is if it works well.

One can see quality of paint job up close. Its not that easy with old machine - you have to account for multiple paint layers pealing off - if you just paint over it you get very uneven crap finish. You either need to remove all 10 layers of old paint --- lots of work - we talking here about a LOT of paint. Or you need to use bondo or similar to fill in the gaps. Finally there may be some old holes / other crap in the machine or even uneven casting ==> bondo.

Trust me, I painted few old machines - to do it well is a LOT of work. If there were no bad spots on these machines and he just refreshed the paint then the machine was in quite good shape already.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I think the bridgeport the seller has for sale has been posted here before IIRC.
Yeah, that was me.

This seller is apparently located in West Montrose which is just outside Kitchener-Waterloo. He has been selling machines, I believe mostly milling machines, for at least a few years. I know his listings have been mentioned on the board a few times but, as far as I know, no one has gone to check out his offerings. I'm simply not in the market for a Bridgeport-size mill and don't know enough about them to do a useful assessment.

It would be interesting to know where he is sourcing these machines (if he'll say). Certainly looks like he is giving them a coat of paint and flipping them to make some cash. But maybe his hobby is restoring them to some extent.

Somebody need to go make a visit and then post a trip report!

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Not only $1000 cheaper but it is heavy 40 taper model that has a combo horizontal spindle as well as DRO and power feeds.
Tom, I have to disagree with you this time. it is a 600V 3PH motor, and those Chinese combo machines are much more difficult to find a correct flange mount motor to replace it. [sidebar] For some reason most of those Chinese flange mount motors, like the ones on the PM1440G and most of the mills use some kind of weird non-NEMA profile and faceplate spec. Replacement motors for them cost a lot more. A bunch of guys have just finally got a motor for a fellow on HM that has been dead for a year. it cost double what a NEMA Baldor would have cost, but the fitment was wrong.

And is not a recommended thing to use a 240V VFD and put a transformer on the output. So this one is overpriced at 4000$. It is a project machine for an electrical wizard, not a home machinist.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Tom, I have to disagree with you this time. it is a 600V 3PH motor, and those Chinese combo machines are much more difficult to find a correct flange mount motor to replace it. [sidebar] For some reason most of those Chinese flange mount motors, like the ones on the PM1440G and most of the mills use some kind of weird non-NEMA profile and faceplate spec. Replacement motors for them cost a lot more. A bunch of guys have just finally got a motor for a fellow on HM that has been dead for a year. it cost double what a NEMA Baldor would have cost, but the fitment was wrong.

And is not a recommended thing to use a 240V VFD and put a transformer on the output. So this one is overpriced at 4000$. It is a project machine for an electrical wizard, not a home machinist.

Given that it has power feed motors and a coolant motor as well I would just run it at 600v. Its not rare to find a 600v transformer - far and wide more rare is 480v. In fact what I finally got is 600v to 480v (!)

Its a large mill - clearly not for everyone. I do think the 600v already depressed the price. But lets be honest for $4000 it would be a total steal.

A lot of home shops have rotary so adding a transformer is not an issue.

And by far and wide I am not electrical wiz. If you changed the machine from 600v to 240v its not just the main motor, or side motors (that very likely are 600v) its all the relays and breakers. You would need to rip most of the electrical panel out. Lots of work. Way easier to just plug transformer there.

Oh and given that it is horizontal - vertical combo I would not be shocked if it had two main motors. One for each spindle.

A small transformer at auction will run you 100 - 200 CAD.

I have no experience with VFD to transformer input - but a 10kv 240-600 transformer is quite large (microwave size) so I would expect resistive loads issues, Even with 5kv one. I only know that small extra loads do not seem to anger the VFD - like running resistive loads up to 50w, which is light or coolant pump or control transformer. The 600v to 480v 5kv transformer is tiny - size of a toaster oven.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
In *your* case the 600V is no biggie: You have a big RPC. For the average hobby guy in Ontario, that machine is a boat anchor.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was very close to buying a Holke mill like that once. Quality machine, made in Spain, if i recall. But it had a total of 5 or 6, 600v motors on it. In hindsite, an RPC to a transformer would be easy enough, but I don't like RPC's really.

You just have to know which motor shop to go to.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It is way more than that. You cannot source a NA made motor to fit. We found him a Taiwanese made motor for 500$ for a 2HP flanve mount. Adapter plates make the shaft too short. Oh and the shaft needed to be metric. And the length/width profile of the motor was *special* . Four of us have done a *lot* of rehabs on machnes. We *finally* found one.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You just have to know which motor shop to go to.

Can you re-wind a 600v motor to 240v? Just wondering. I mean wires will be much thicker with 240v so will it all... fit? Or does it depend on particular motor? Just wondering. Hope I am not hijacking the thread too much.

It is way more than that. You cannot source a NA made motor to fit. We found him a Taiwanese made motor for 500$ for a 2HP flanve mount. Adapter plates make the shaft too short. Oh and the shaft needed to be metric. And the length/width profile of the motor was *special* . Four of us have done a *lot* of rehabs on machnes. We *finally* found one.
Why not simply have the original motor rewound and rebuilt. Solves those issues.

Also try Nustart Electric (in Mississauga) I've known these guys for over 32 years from my elevator days. They supplied my new motor and vfd for the mill upgrade. Nustart was the preference for rewinds.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

Its EU base motor for sure - this means you would need to get EU replacement. This means shipping from say Poland would not be cheap. Or fast. But it can be done. EU market is around 2x as big as NA so there should be plenty of motors - just no for little $$$. One can get used motors as well - but shipping would be few hundred CAD for say 3hp flanged motor when using standard carrier such as DHL.

Adventurous machinist would simply do adapter plate AND used a loose coupling (not sure correct name) its a coupling used in pumps - so things do not have to be perfectly aligned.

If I could not use a transformer, and it was ONE main motor I would try Mississauga pp and ask them whatever rewind is possible. If not ask for Polish motor replacement - there are lot of Polish guys there, maybe they can throw your motor with all Polish food into a container - expect like 1.5 -- 2 month plus wait - that would reduce shipping to under $100. In case you wonder, you can send stuff to Poland from Canada like 4x or 5x cheaper then through standard means through most Polish stores.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Can you re-wind a 600v motor to 240v? Just wondering. I mean wires will be much thicker with 240v so will it all... fit? Or does it depend on particular motor? Just wondering. Hope I am not hijacking the thread too much.
Yes you can, I’ve had several motors rewound from 600v to 240v by LN Electric in North York. $300-400 including new bearings.

A lot of shops won’t bother with small motors but in both of these cases a replacement motor was difficult/expensive to find so I found a shop that would do it.