• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Milling Machine, $2000, Ardrossan, AB

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
ff918999-eb1d-4562-978c-ebd113be0e44

Ironman

Ultra Member
You can zero in on your vise, and make some cuts, you want to keep things short and close so there is little deflection on the mill.... Now, you have to drill a hole, and the chuck and drill bit is too long so you have to raise the head. Now where are you in relation to zero on your work and vice? Your head can swing side to side, and even if the rack lifting the head is tight, you have lost accuracy of your setup.
This is why people went to the knee mill, to be able to raise and lower and remain true and dialed in. I realize that it is a serious cost and some people can't afford it, so they get a round column mill. You can start out this way, but you will sooner or later want to go to a knee mill as your skill and knowledge expands with what you learned on the round column.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes raising and lowering the head is an issue, lots of u tube vids on this issue and how to prevent it. I'm on the hunt for material to build one of the devices currently.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Round columns are definitely a bit of a compromise, but they can get the job done with a little planning

Ideally a square column or knee mill would be nicer, but if budget and space constraints lead you to a round column, then you just learn to work within the limits of mill.... still better than no mill

I don't think thats a very good price however

Aliva

Super User
You can zero in on your vise, and make some cuts, you want to keep things short and close so there is little deflection on the mill.... Now, you have to drill a hole, and the chuck and drill bit is too long so you have to raise the head. Now where are you in relation to zero on your work and vice? Your head can swing side to side, and even if the rack lifting the head is tight, you have lost accuracy of your setup.
This is why people went to the knee mill, to be able to raise and lower and remain true and dialed in. I realize that it is a serious cost and some people can't afford it, so they get a round column mill. You can start out this way, but you will sooner or later want to go to a knee mill as your skill and knowledge expands with what you learned on the round column.
That's exactly why I sold my round column for a knee mill.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Round columns are definitely a bit of a compromise, but they can get the job done with a little planning

Ideally a square column or knee mill would be nicer, but if budget and space constraints lead you to a round column, then you just learn to work within the limits of mill.... still better than no mill

I don't think thats a very good price however
It is not a good price.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Today I was over helping a guy and he told me of a mill a friend who works at Busy Bee bought this mill from the Westlock area...he said an american mill, can't remember the name.
I said Bridgeport?
He said yes! and he had a kurt vice on it. He said it was sold for $500. Made me sick.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Today I was over helping a guy and he told me of a mill a friend who works at Busy Bee bought this mill from the Westlock area...he said an american mill, can't remember the name.
I said Bridgeport?
He said yes! and he had a kurt vice on it. He said it was sold for $500. Made me sick.
<sigh>