• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Mikron 90 Gear Hob machine, Calgary - no price posted

I pinged the seller just now and he responded right away with a 'somewhere in the 900. range'

I hope the extra . at the end of the 900 isnt a typo, lol.

I wonder if someone could cut threading gears for something like an atlas lathe on one of these. Would need to know the machine specs I guess.

gerritv

Gerrit
Typically 40mm max diameter for these machines so no to Atlas gears.

I am sooo tempted at the moment,,,,,,,,, perfect for clock gears.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
It would be a great little machine to get but the "mostly complete" spooks me. That and I don't see a pile of change gears or hobs. Still, an attractive price....would be having a closing look if I wasn't so far away (haha there's a reversal....TO guy is too away from the great deals in Calgary)

If you really want a hobber, you can do so with vertical mill (or universal horizontal) and a bit of electronics. I've seen a few such sets ups and its impressive. Helical gears as well. Basically tilt the head of mill to the hobs helix and electronically couple the spindle to the 4th axis. i.e. encoder on the spindle to a micro controller on driving a stepper on the 4th axis. It might take you more than an afternoon to set up, but the huge mechanical complication of connecting the cutter spindle to the work rotation is just done away with!

Last edited:

gerritv

Gerrit
Indeed, the electronics part is planned, but I have developed a thing for Swiss tooling :) The big holdup is also being too far away to take a personal look and conversation. I have enough projects without adding this to only find I need to make all the gears for it :)
In the meantime I am getting closer to critical mass on tooling to make small gear cutters (I already made 1.25" diameter cutters successfully)

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I have some extra really high DP hobs, like 80 - 120, I would sell some if any of you future hobbers are beginning the collection :). I can't yet hob myself, but I've got a BCA mill I'm just finishing a new spindle for and since the head on it swivels, I thought it a perfect candidate to make into hobbing machine. I've also got a set of Jacobs castings somewhere aging on a shelf....but they might have to wait for the next lifetime lol

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
John N and I looked at it closely. No go. Too many missing pieces. Wanted to trade for a small lathe. He didn't like the lathe.

I wouldn't give him 300$ for it. It will never work again, unless you know how to make the missing pieces.